May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (azgreg, 1 invisible), 752 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,593
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
GregSY #8660 11/05/06 12:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GregSY
I wouldn't consider it on a M21, but it brings up a good point; case coloring is yet another attribute that fell by the wayside as guns became more 'advanced'. If I were in 1935 buying a big-buck gun, such as a M21, I'd be pretty disappointed in a blued finish. I still would be today. A blued receiver screams "corporate cost cutting measure" to me. Is there any other high-end shotgun that gets shipped with a blued receiver?

It wasn't cost cutting, it was that Chrome-Moly steel did not need case harding.
If all the other "high end"(as you say) doubles had been made of Chrome Moly instead of a soft steel, they would not have been case hardened eather.

Ole Cowboy
Don Moody #8684 11/05/06 03:49 PM

Jim, here is a pic of a csmc gun that has been case colored.

GregSY #8686 11/05/06 04:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GregSY
I wouldn't consider it on a M21, but it brings up a good point; case coloring is yet another attribute that fell by the wayside as guns became more 'advanced'. If I were in 1935 buying a big-buck gun, such as a M21, I'd be pretty disappointed in a blued finish. I still would be today. A blued receiver screams "corporate cost cutting measure" to me. Is there any other high-end shotgun that gets shipped with a blued receiver?

Case hardening is only needed when low tensile steel is used. The reason low tensile steel was used on receivers was that the material was easy to work but soft. The surface needed to be hardened which resulted in case colors as a byproduct. The coloring effect became so popular that it continues today on many firearms whether it is needed or not. A blued firearm such as a Model 21 or Superposed signifies the use of a modern material. The decision to not use case colors was not an economic one but a material decision. Now individuals expect case colors whether the firearm actually needs them or not. Those case colors that result from treatments other than actual case hardening may fade as with actual case hardening colors.
That said, i ordered my RBL with case colors because i wanted a darker reciever for the field. If the RBL would have been offered with a blued reciever, I would have been just as happy or happier.
-Dick

Dick_dup1 #8692 11/05/06 04:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I understand that the lack of coloring was a metallurgically-driven decision, but nonetheless.... bluing is just a cheaper-looking finish - and I bet it's a cheap finish to apply as well. It simply is not 'rich'.

You can bet one of the arguments used internally at Winchester in favor of using the newest steels was 'no need for that pesky case coloring/hardening process'.

I'm not suggesting Wnchester should have case colored the M21, but some other finish would have been more fitting their top-of-the-line gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Case hardening a low carbon steel & heat treating it leaves a hard Case (outer surface) over a softer core. Heat treating a higher carbon alloy steel gives much more through hardening. Case hardened steels are normally left with the case at or very near to maximum hardness, as the core is still soft. Heat treated alloy steels will normally be drawn (tempered) to the desired degree of hardness dependant upon their use. Case hardening is not the proper treatment for steel having above about 20 points of carbon (this includes the M21 frame). I am not a great fan of the M21, so not trying to eulogise it, but the blued frame on the 21 was not for cost cutting, it was because of the type of alloy steel used it was not the proper finish.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
2-piper #8698 11/05/06 05:44 PM
jjwag69 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Scott,

Thanks for the picture post, that is the first CC I have seen on a M21. Doesn't detract in any way in my mind, if fact it is rather striking.

Jim

jjwag69 #8700 11/05/06 05:58 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a matter of fact, Funeral Model or funeral finish Purdeys and other top grade guns are characteristically blued rather than colored. A Funeral Model Purdey ordered today would be in the neighborhood of $50,000 to $90,000 I assume, maybe closer to the lower figure.

eightbore #8749 11/05/06 10:09 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Galazan's calendar from a couple years back included a picture of a CSMC M-21 with very rich colors - much nicer in my opinion than on the gun pictured above.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess it is just a matter of taste. But case coloring on a Model 21? Yuch!! Savage Stevens weren't expensive guns, yet they have case coloring. So it wasn't a matter of money. Nothing looks as good to me as a nice rich blued gun of any kind- on a handgun or a shotgun. (Don't care that much for stainless although the finish lasts longer.) With engraving, it even looks better. No offense, but the gold on a case colored gun just doesn't look right to me. It stands out so much better on a blued gun. Maybe some of the Greyed Model 21s that were done are OK. But, that is one of the reasons why I never cared for an LC Smith. I never could get used to the case colors. I was never the least bit disappointed in the looks of a Model 21. Sorry. (I know John Olin is probably going to roll over in his grave after he reads this post.)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.