May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (WJW, Ted Schefelbein, Jolly Bill, 1 invisible), 480 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was at a friends house yesterday to shoot some clays and try out my Lefever FE 12 bore for the first time, on the first shot, the gun doubled. Some owner of this gun somewhere down the line had the rear trigger pull lightened and tuned to that of a match rifle. Not so much of a good thing when it comes to shotguns. So, we tore the gun down to see how much damage had actually occured and compared the inner workings to that of a non-ejector H, G, and to another FE and GE gun, we also thru a DS in there as well. Its amazing how all the different grades of guns had about the same amount of finish work applied to the guts...almost all of the guns had a crack in the stock somewhere in the head area or on the fragile stock horns that meet up with the back of the receiver. All the parts at a passing glance looked like they could be interechangeable...they're not. In fact, it was amazing at how some of the parts were differnt in each gun, things that look the same on the outside such as safety buttons and the safety shut off screw...triggers, etc. It was amazing looking and studying the simplicity of the inner workings.

Our workbench...we had all the right tools, not a screw was buggered and all guns went back together like they were taken apart...no gun was damaged in the filming of this caper.

non-ejector H grade, hammer cocked

non-ejector H grade with hammers dropped

FE grade with hammers cocked, rh side

FE grade with hammers cocked, LH side...this is the side that doubles, can you see the hammer & sear engagement notch?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think your sear springs are in upside down on both guns.
Did you get the doubling fixed?
Chris

LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hmmm. Thats the way every gun we took apart was...the long end of the spring went to the top, I'll check again to make sure...and yes, we did get the gun quit doubling, we scraped off some dried up crud off the hammer and sear notches and cleaned up some tiny imperfections on the metal with a small file...it doesn't double anymore, but the back trigger is still way too light for my liking.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the springs are in correct position.

Short sleeve's in Alaska in MARCH?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chris is correct. The long end of the sear springs goes on the bottom. A close study of the sear top edge will show where the spring's bend should be, back further. That may well be how you found them but if so, they were assembled wrong previously. BTW, very good pictures. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 03/23/08 09:52 AM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

The inards of a Lefever Automatic Hammerless are simple, but that also implies strength. After seeing that now I really want one and I guess all Lefevers no matter the grade received the same amount of internal polishing of the lock parts.
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

Take a look at this photo. See how the spring seats against the sear. It will not slide back and forth this way.

Chris

LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Chris, I flipped the springs right ways up on my FE...its unreal how many of these guns we took apart yesterday were set up the way I had my gun set up...I should've taken more pics. Does it really make a difference which way these springs are placed? I understand what your saying about the springs sliding back and forth, but we didn't seem to have that problem yesterday....and I cant tell any difference in function with the springs put in right side up. What gives?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't really know if it would cause a problem or not. I would guess that it would change the amount of downward pressure on the sear, especially if the spring is too far forward. Maybe the sear wouldn't engage the hammer competely.
Chris

Sidelock
Sidelock

More detailed photos than those in Elliott. Although I have two Lefevers, I've never had occasion to pull the sideplates so didn't realize exactly what cocked the indicators. The milled ramp on the hammer is quite obvious here as is its function. I believe I can make out the evidence of where the indicator piston has rested against the cocked hammer in the last photo. I hope you didn't do any mix-n-match on these guns; sounds as if custom-fitted parts would squawk a warning if you had.

jack

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.