April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Der Ami, Sandlapper, MattH, RARiddell, Toby Barclay), 645 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,260
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally I love the gun and the engraving.

Might the "gap" be the result of the metal contracting due to temperature changes. Perhaps it's intentional toallow for expansion?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob,
I'm pretty sure no thermal expansion/contraction gap would be necessary due to all of it being of the same material. Besides, steel expands/contracts at .00006"/inch per degree Farenheit if I got my decimal point in the right place. That gap looks close to notebook paper thickness wide. That's .002-.003". I have a LC that has a better lower tang fit in this area.

I don't have the budget for the case and fancy-dancy screwdrivers, let alone the gun, but I have to agree with JJ on the gap being a party foul on a gun like this. Besides, everyone knows H&H uses the latest CNC/DNC machinery and they should be able to cut matching parts much closer than this if the programmers and operators do their jobs.

Last edited by Chuck H; 11/07/06 08:04 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Guys - that gap shouldn't be there, plain and simple. It's not built into the design. The gun is just poorly made.

Getting the fit on that piece right is very difficult. It takes a lot of training, time, and patience.

The engraving is brilliant, yes. But engraving is just one part of the gun.

That's all there is to it.

H&H's should know better.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

owd,
I recall seeing the machining of this area on the RBL when I was at CSM last May. Neither of the two parts were touched by handfiles and they have a better fit than the gun shown, if I recall correctly.

While, I'm sure you're right about this area being difficult to fit by traditional hand work, proper CNC work should make this a piece of cake. Aren't they using CNC to finish fit parts? Or are they leaving metal fitting to the hand work?

The gap is just confirmation of what we all know deep down but are maybe too scared to admit. Older guns have a better fit, finish and attention to detail than most modern equivalents. Sure the engraving is nice, but that will be cold comfort if moisture gets into that gap and rusts the interior. Just to check I pulled my 1905 Holland. It’s the most basic model of Royal that was produced still the metal – metal fit is flawless and the wood to metal excellent. No Gaps. Maybe the best guns were made before WWI after all. Incidentally at least some of the some of the beasts depicted appear to be Wyverns.

Derek

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely artisanship. Such mastery of design and execution is a treasure. It's a joy just to study it. Thanks for the posting.

Relax; we're all experts here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The more I look at it, the more it looks like a shadow line made for the mouth of the cat. JMO

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave I dont' think we are looking in the same place. The gap starts at the head of the small imp and curves up and to the right. I see no cat around it at all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"....if moisture gets into that gap and rusts the interior. "

I bet there's a much better than even chance this gun'll never see the hunting field, let alone any weather where moisture would be allowed to get on or in the gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm sort of sorry I posted this now. Apparently more people are obsessed with finding imaginary faults with spectacular firearms than they are with appreciating them. Some of you need glasses.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.