March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Owenjj3, NCTarheel, gunmaker, 3 invisible), 381 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,006
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: crossedchisles
Michael,I did'nt hear that particular story, butI saw the "Speed Graphic" that got 'Itself'shot at "A Farm" Marengo,Illinois!!!I wonder where those Beautiful Single-Shot rifles are to-day?? I have a English Oak,"Coffin Rifle-Case" With a Brass Name Plate on the outside of the lid, Engraved'William Cooper. 7 Union Court. Liverpool.The case is 55" long. JA told me it was built for a'Whitworth Rifle aprox 1850-1860" A similar case is pictured in Gun Digest1983 P110(JA gave me the page with the case)..DT

My Amber catalog is dog eared and I have wondered were they all are, I few came to Alaska and are still with the owners. I was just looking through a auction catalog for next month and saw a rifle that looked familiar then realized it was one I had sold many moons ago. Looks like John had more than one “Accident”.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Michael,
Email and photographs sent.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Guys, please don't hesitate to clutter the thread on my account. I really enjoy reading this one, and the more added to it the better.

Meanwhile, everytime I see Leopold mentioned, I wonder if he has any relationship to either of the other two famous Leopolds that I know of. Michael, I am willing to wager a small sum that if there is a connection to the scope manufacturer or the father of wildlife biology and management, you will know of it. Any luck?

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Guys, please don't hesitate to clutter the thread on my account. I really enjoy reading this one, and the more added to it the better.

Meanwhile, everytime I see Leopold mentioned, I wonder if he has any relationship to either of the other two famous Leopolds that I know of. Michael, I am willing to wager a small sum that if there is a connection to the scope manufacturer or the father of wildlife biology and management, you will know of it. Any luck?

Brent

I agree, no need to go into the closet on our account. This is good stuff.

As far as the Leopold connection, Aldo was born in 1887 and I would guess be a comptemporary of E.A., more or less. I believe the scope guy spelled his name Leupold.

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When I did the research on the Maynard Long-Range rifle that belonged to Leopold for my article I did some background work on him. To be honest I was not as well versed in that type research as I am today but I found nothing to connect him to anyone else we would know. E.A. Leopold was one of the moving forces behind the work of F.W. Mann and Leopold like Mann had a very inquisitive mind.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent

Very well chaps, you did ask for it.

Ref. My question to Michael regarding the cross pin in the Borchardt custom modified rifles.

Yesterday I found an answer in the Single Shot Rifle Journal Vol.59, No. 6 for November / December 2005. (Reprinted from the American Single Shot Rifle News Vol. 37 No.3. May/June 1983). There is an article there on breech seating bullets. In it, it was stated that these pins were mainly used to permit takedown of the rifle to ease the transport of rifles too and from the range.

Some gunsmiths such as George Schoyen used a slightly longer pin and used it as an anchor point for a breech seating tool. There is also a reference to a drawing and an article by John Dutcher in the 1971 Guns Digest which shows a drawing of this set up, for what appears to be a Ballard Rifle. A similar item could be used for the Borchardt, or indeed many other single shot rifle actions. Admittedly this breech seating of bullets was mainly used by Schuetzen aficionado's, and to a lesser degree by Long Range BPCR competitors.

It may come as surprise to many, but it appears that some of the best shots in the early decades of the last century assembled their rifles at the range, shot their competition, and then took their rifles apart to carry them home in a convenient fashion.

It certainly seems to demonstrate, that you don't need a massive vice and the muscles of a Gorilla to screw the barrel into a receiver in order to get fine accuracy. Essentially the barrel has only to be a hand pressure screw fit, which is then locked in a precise position by a tapered pin, to be very accurate indeed.

Amazing, isn't it, I don't know something, I ask, then the next day I read all about it in a magazine. One of life's strange anomolies.

Re the photo in the previous post, I thought my workshop was a bit rough and ready, until I saw that picture. lol.

Harry.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, Harry, your shop may be pretty tidy, but do you wear a coat and tie when you are grinding away?

I gotta wonder if they didn't get dressed up for these photos. Every one of them look like they just came home from church.

Pretty cool Michael. Keep at it.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr Harry Eales,Reading your 'posts' reminds me of many of the 'Older' Riflesmiths/Gunsmiths that I had the pleasure of meeting/working with in some small way over the last 42 years of my Residency here in the US. at one time I had one of Harry Popes bench 'set-ups'. Large Mahog.block with steel plate in the top suface,steel pin at front to locate the 'V' in the foot of the bbl clamp. I think it was pictured in one of the Gun/D. that Amber gave me on one of my many visits to his'Office'.Do you or any of this Esteemed Group know the name of the Rifle-maker,(who;s name and photo is still packed in my 'stuff) who took to the'Woods' Snake River, Idaho, Had a TV Special of him Just before he died,aprox.1989 90?. He was a 'Very Clever' Pimitive Rifle & Gun maker.I shot the Friendship, Indiana,Matches, 1975-1982. with several 'Shots' who knew him. I have a P/Back Book of his life story(In storage)MP, Great photo of Workshop, One of my Favorite subjects! I still use hand tools from the 1860-1900s on a daily basis.Another name from my S.Indiana Past'William S Schilling,was a S/S builder, Shot with Harry Pope often, had a good collection of Pope Bbl. rifles.he was also a'hellava' Inventor, had some US Pats. for Farm Equipment I belive.One of the many'Hands-On'Type of Firearm Enthusiast' that dont seem to come to the top of 'The Cream-Bucket' in this PC era.Who was it who said something to the effect" Theres no Future Without a Past?...CC.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The take-down rifle became popular with the expansion of public transportation.

It’s fun to look at old photos of men at a shooting match dressed in coat, tie and jacket.
One of my favorite photos of Harvey W. Rodgers at the work bench.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, Harry, your shop may be pretty tidy, but do you wear a coat and tie when you are grinding away?

I gotta wonder if they didn't get dressed up for these photos. Every one of them look like they just came home from church.

Pretty cool Michael. Keep at it.

Brent

Hello Brent,
I haven't worn a tie in the past 30 years, except to go to funerals. I only own one (in black). I certainly wouldn't wear one anywhere near machinery. Hell, I don't even wear suits, the last one I owned had flared trouser bottoms. (circa 1972). lol.

As for my workshop being tidy, If I'm working on something I daren't put it down, I'd never find it again.

Keep those pictures coming Michael, they open up a whole new and little known world, of how things were done 80-90 years ago.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 11/07/06 02:04 PM.
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.