April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (David Williamson, CJF, R. Glenz), 1,239 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a conservationist in Africa, this pic brings joy to my heart. Firstly, I doubt very much there are any decent guns in there; mostly ancient military rifles. More important, western Tanzania has a godawful poaching problem - all the wildlife is being eaten. These guns were most likely being used for large scale meat-poaching, and their destruction is saving tens of thousands of animals. Northern Kenya is awash with AK's, and as a result there is no wildlife left. This has been the story in one African country after another. And the gangs in Nairobi who used to be armed merely with pangas (machetes), now have AK's, too. Traditional livestock raiding is still a way of life here in northern Kenya. Until twenty years ago, a raid entailed a lot of hooting and hollering, and only occasionally someone hurt by a spear. Today the AK's often leave a few dozen dead behind - women, children, old men. As Lowell says, not everyone should be armed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They sure are stacked in a very neat order. It looks like there might be something holding them up and the whole stack might not be all guns.

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LGF
As a conservationist in Africa, this pic brings joy to my heart. Firstly, I doubt very much there are any decent guns in there; mostly ancient military rifles. More important, western Tanzania has a godawful poaching problem - all the wildlife is being eaten. These guns were most likely being used for large scale meat-poaching, and their destruction is saving tens of thousands of animals. Northern Kenya is awash with AK's, and as a result there is no wildlife left. This has been the story in one African country after another. And the gangs in Nairobi who used to be armed merely with pangas (machetes), now have AK's, too. Traditional livestock raiding is still a way of life here in northern Kenya. Until twenty years ago, a raid entailed a lot of hooting and hollering, and only occasionally someone hurt by a spear. Today the AK's often leave a few dozen dead behind - women, children, old men. As Lowell says, not everyone should be armed.

No one would deny that stopping poaching would be a good thing. However, burning the guns does nothing to stop the poaching because the guns are not the cause of poaching. When the governments begin to address the reasons for poaching, rather than the means, then poaching will decline.

People who commit these acts will have no difficulty getting guns no matter how many laws are passed or how many guns are destroyed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bet it's harder to bring down rhino or jumbo with spear, bow or an ax eh?

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you rummage around the 'net a little you'll see similar images from Australia: claws on the ends of cranes in scrap metal yards crushing grandpa's rabbit guns in their thousands; that was after the death of a thousand cuts though, when the individuals who were forced to surrender them were invited to see them first individually crushed to make them irrepairably disabled (because in earlier times a lot of surrendered stuff was not disabled and was waylaid on the way to the smelter. Infamously, the Port Arthur massacre was commited with such surrendered and rebirthed guns).

Much good stuff was quietly rescued, but a lot was scrapped too.
RG

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good people deserve good guns, and so it goes - breeding shows.
...and some I do not trust with a butter knife!

Sidelock
Sidelock

That should be the poster for the Democratic agenda

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
Good people deserve good guns, and so it goes - breeding shows.

I breed some real good dogs. Start by picking carefully and get pups with great pedigrees and then only breed the ones that grow up superior.
I never thought to be so selective in breeding people. How does one go about doing that Lowell? Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think some bloke had a few ideas about human pedigrees in the 1930s; Germany I think it was. Something about an Aryan super race and "lebensraum" for them to live in? Sounded quite idealistic and utopian really, but it got quite embarrassing when he saw how fast black guys could run (and I suspect he had a sneaking admiration for the way yellow guys could overrun, too). Same bloke had some really neat ideas on the registration of guns, too. Philospher of sorts - Albert Hiller? His name escapes me for the moment...
RG

Sidelock
Sidelock

Happened here also
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&...xJMXUpY#PPP1,M1

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
Actually, Edmund Burke never said this, but a fella named James sorta did:
"Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."

I'm afraid many of us would end up WAY in the back of the Eugenics line

Last edited by revdocdrew; 03/29/08 09:16 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.