March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Owenjj3, NCTarheel, gunmaker, 3 invisible), 394 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,006
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
Boxlock

I used a Matador II, 12ga.w/26" barrels,choked IC/M,single selective trigger,for several years.It had a case-colored receiver,the case soon wore off at the carry point.It was a very good field gun,no problems,nice patterns right on point of aim. I gave it to a relative because the stock was a bit straight,and had significant cast-off (a problem for a lefty).A good Matador II that fits you will do well in the field.

A better choice for a little more $ is an Ithaca/SKB 200e.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This outfit made some solid shooters. I have looked over couple of them BLs with Purdey double under bites, Greener X-bolt and chromed frames. I might still pick up that one with st. grip sling swivels, luvly Anson latch and gold lion und AYA logo on the lever. It's marked Fab (Factory) Aguirre Y Aranzabal plus some Swedish gibberish on the other tube, proly built toughter then brick shithouse! I could pick one of ther DDR Suhl guns in excellent shape for $1200 to $1300, but why not save cool $400 and get something better lookin (ya know, that from Birmingham look). Maaan, I'm tired of fugly German guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My 10b Aya is a Matador. 3-1/2" chambers, blued frame and tight, tight, tight. I only shoot 20-25 shots per year throught it though. Mine has the gold lion under the name and some of the finest checkering I've seen on any gun. The barrels also have a bevel like none I've ever seen. How do you tell if it's a "lightweight 10 Aya"?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Put it on a scale, read the dial. My case colored 1966 manufactured ten weighs 9 pounds, 10 ounces, what I regard as a "lightweight" compared to the near 12 pounds of some sixties vintage Spanish ten magnums meant for the US market. The Gun Digest of the time does not mention any ten other than the blue frame Matador. The Blue Book says the Matador was discontinued in 1963 and does not mention any ten gauge after the original Matador. They state that the vent rib Matador ll was only available in 12 and 20. My gun and the many others I've seen identical to it have Firearms International markings so are obviously intended for the US market and do exist, regardless of the thin information provided by the Blue Book. My Firearms International research material is a little light, so I have no more answers. It is amazing to me that the Gun Digest, that included mention of FI imported AYA guns all through this period, never mentions the case colored lightweight ten, nor does the Blue Book. I guess the real story is that the gun was probably offered for only a short time, then discontinued. Since all I have seen have been in the Washington, DC area, it could have been a prototype, distributed in very small quantities through the FI headquarters just south of DC in Maryland. Maybe it was never catalogued. It is the best ten gauge for the price that I have ever owned, and I've owned a bunch. Now that I realize how obscure this gun is, I will be on the lookout for another.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ironman, could you possibly weigh your blue frame Matador ten so we can compare the two models? As I stated earlier, my case colored 1966 ten weighs 9 pounds, 10 ounces empty.

My old Matador 10ga weighs under 10#, also. I think its frame was originally case colored. It's seen a lot of use and the action is still plenty tight. I bought it cheap ($250) since it had a cracked butt but my repair seems to be holding.

I sometimes wonder why these old Spanish 10s aren't used with chamber inserts by people seeking SxS target guns. Too uncool? Illegal?

thelatestinsanity
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my case, the AYA is a little thick in the grip and forend to make a good target gun. A good 12 gauge target gun would be more useful at about 8 to 8 1/2 pounds and lean at the grips.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jagermeister, I had an AyA just like the one you describe (a 16). Well used with importer markings from a large Swedish sporting goods store in central Sweden (which apparently still exists). Made in 1962, according to the date-of-proof code. Traded it off after one upland season (to a gunsmith for work on one of my other clunkers). There's a discussion board for Swedish civilian arms on http://www.gunboards.com which is a good source for info on things Swedish,even when they're Spanish, in case you aren't familiar with it (which you probably are).

I purchased an Aya Matedore from Milt Kline years ago. It was a pretty gun, but made of very soft steel. It had a single slective trigger and ejectors. After firing three rounds it began to double. I sent it to Micro Gunsight Co. to be fixed. The same thing occured three times. I fnally gave up and sent it back to Milt Kline and he sent me a new one with a case hardened frame. One could see daylight between the back of the barrels and the frame. I gat a refund and bought a Chalrles Daly model 500 made by Miriku and never had any trouble. I used it for water fowl and upland game birds for years. My advise is not to purchase any Aya Matadore guns fron the 1960's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rabbit Ears is painting Matadors with a pretty broad brush, especially after ownership of one gun that failed after three shots. That would not indicate soft steel, it would indicate defective assembly. Even soft steel lasts more than three shots. Milt (Klein) may have imported guns that were way less than the normal quality for U.S. AYA imports. Every Matador I have examined, that would be many, have been tight on the face. "Light between the back of the barrels and the frame." would seem to be a bit of an exaggeration, at least in my experience with Matadors.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.