March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Dan R, Hoot4570, ChiefAmungum, canvasback, 2 invisible), 356 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

'Come on Rockie, you don't have enough pure "Honkie Tonk Time", wore out enough boot soles, or wear the right kind of hat to clam that! :p”'

Don it actually fits me pretty well, it is a line from a Brain Burns song, about an Ol’ Boy that stops at a Haunted Roadhouse and sees and hears his Country Hero’s sing, that were just a little before his time.

Hank Williams sang a sad one as I sat back down again,
then I heard a host of other ghostly voices joining in.
There was Ernest, Keith, and Lefty in this old familiar tune
playing on the haunted jukebox at the Lost Highway Saloon.
There were people all around me where there was no one just before,
and the kicking of their boot heels rumbled through the old dance floor.
The room was filled with smoke and laughter and Bob Wills fiddle played
while a mighty cowboy choir sang and played the night away.
I listened to the songs I knew and a few I’d never heard,
and as my heroes sang for me that night, I hung on every word.
I could smell the whiskey on Hank’s breath and Patsy Cline’s perfume
all around the haunted jukebox at the Lost Highway Saloon.

Back to Cabela’s – generally over priced, but no more so than “Internet Gunsites”, and now and again you find a bargain or a fair deal.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is called a free market. As a seller, they buy as low as they can and sell as high as they can. Their business is not based on a few one-off sales, rather on sustainability. They have to watch how low they buy, how high they sell, inventory level, where their next inventory is coming from, overhead, and profit.

As a buyer, you are completely free to buy or not buy, make an offer, or not even go there. Rarely is there such a thing as a true/real/justifiable/provable price. They put on what they think and you decide if it is acceptable or could lead to a deal. No deal = no foul & no penalty.

Depending on how much shoe leather, jet fuel, and midnight oil you burn, you may develop a higher level of expertise than they have. When you do, you will find that the cheapest prices are at auctions. But, remember that there is no return policy - when the hammer falls on your bid, you own it. Bargains are the product of blind luck, rootin' enough to turn up an acorn, or taking a risk on a gun (risk-reward issues).

Tom Bryant is first class people. He loves people, dogs, and guns - proof positive that he has his head screwed on stringht. However, he is in business to make a profit. The rules by which business operates were laid down long before Tom sold his first gun. To stay in business, he must operate within those rules.

If you are a real expert and would like to sell guns for a living, I'd suggest you give Tom a call. You might not get a job, but you will at minimum get to chat with a true gentleman.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said, Rocketman!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that one reason Cabelas has a "Fine Gun Room" is to lagitimize their image as an outlet for real outdoors stuff. They make the best markup on clothing with sporting equipment second. The mark up on guns cannot equal the 40- 50% on clothing. When the occasional "sportsman" brings the family in for winter boots .... they know they're in a rugged outdoor place that sells quality merchandise because they have a "fine gun room". If the gun room didn't provide a great background for selling the other stuff it wouldn't be given a square foot in the store. Who would want to sell any product with such a precarious supply line ..... So far "fine guns" can't be brought in by the container load from China.

Al

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree. "Fine guns" can't make up more than 1% of their sales. it's probably an nice side-line for them and enhances their image, but it doesn't pay the bills. Their outdoor stores are built to "wow" the customer and make the store a dstination getaway. It's just like all of the square foot they devote to trophy mounts. It doesn't generate cash directly, but draws people to the store.

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cabela's Gun Rooms are an attendance building display just like the aquariums, the African taxidermy display, and all the mounted animals around the stores. The difference is that this one actually pays for itself. Previous posters are correct, they don't make as much margin as the other product lines, but they make alot more than the other displays.

sv

Sidelock
Sidelock

P.S. When you enter a Crapbela's the first thing you have to walk throught to get to anything else is, You guessed it, "clothing". Their highest mark-up item. PURE MARKETING GENIUS. I wish I were in on it.

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a good example of the Cabelas "price multiplier"...This gun must've been owned by General Patton.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=11655

I might add I've bought a couple of SxS's fron Cabelas and they haven't come close with their descriptions...if they tell you it's "tight on face" don't believe them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman, second your comments about Tom. One of the good guys in the business. And although I have not done business with him since he joined Cabela's, Jack Dudley runs their Boise Gun Library. So they do have a few guys that know a bit about doubles.

I sometime find a bargain gun at my local Cabela's. They do overprice some items, but many of their prices seem normal. St. Louis recently had a nice Winchester 101 for a reasonable $900. Some other items were priced very high. I've bouht a few shotguns there.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.