May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (prairie ghost, 1 invisible), 606 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,400
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kstt was right about the Fox gun he implied was underpriced. I read his post, sent Cabela a message about the gun, it was long gone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reasonably comparable guns sold at Holt's March auction for prices that translate into $5,000 - $7,000 delivered in USA. Keep in mind that Cabela's would have to pay the same price as you or I for these guns. Per discussion thread with Hugh Lomas, a dealer will need 30% mark-up to stay in business. So, a gun that hammers at £2,800 in London gets into the hands of a USA buyer for $7840 (about 20% buyer's premium, about $2/£1, and air freight = a 2.8 multiplier to hammer price). $7840 with a 30% markup = $10,192.

For anyone wanting a high condition Brit 20 gauge, that is the market. Of course, lower condition guns are cheaper - a lot cheaper. My point is not that Cabela's price is "correct," rather, they are certainly within the market. High demand for these scarce items is really pushing the market price up.

I believe Cabelas is still privately owned, and must be stuffed wiht retained profits. perhaps owners also know that guns hold value over time, and unlike last years clothing, has true appreciation potential.

along with all the other good observations above, could it be that the inevitable inflationary cycle, when it returns, will lift fine and average quality gun prices while the competition to make cheap clothing will deflate fabric values?

I know I justify paying too much for EVERY GUN I BUY, because I want it, and know it will hold value more than any other consumer item I were to buy instead. Like fine jewelry for a loved wife returns values beyond measure.

Jameister
Sidelock
Sidelock

Profit margins on clothing allows a retailer to make money even when they dump last years merchandise at rock bottom sale prices ..... and some stuff is made as "sale" goods. Looking at their "fine gun" prices I think the mark up is about 20 / 30 % with a fairly high overhead (sq ft of space for units sold) . . Clothing on the other hand is likely to be 40 / 50 % with lower overhead. As someone has already mentioned, the "Fine Gun Room" is part of the decoration. If they ever need the space they will nail the "fine guns" to the wall over the hunting boots ..... kind of like they do in the "Old West" restaurants .....

Al

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cabelas is a great company to do business with and every once in a while you can pick up a bargain if you are knowledgeable. I purchased a near 100% mid 20's Fox A grade for $1200. The gun room believed the stock was refinished due to the flat top checkering hence the low price (A grades came from the factory with flat top checkering). The problem is (for collectors)they are getting much more knowledgeable, so the bargains will be fewer in the future. Even if they ask more for their guns you can always be sure you will get your money back if you are not satisfied. I believe they have been great for the market.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jameister
I believe Cabelas is still privately owned.

Nope, went public about four years ago and it's been all downhill since. Stock price topped out around $22 a couple of years ago and also straight downhill since.

sv

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: steve voss
Originally Posted By: jameister
I believe Cabelas is still privately owned.

Nope, went public about four years ago and it's been all downhill since. Stock price topped out around $22 a couple of years ago and also straight downhill since.

sv

Ticker CAB,been hit pretty hard like most of the Retail sector;
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=CAB&t=1y

much better money in USO,UNG and OIH !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.