Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#93264 05/02/08 02:00 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have been searching the internet for the past year looking for a Model 21 duck, trap. Basically what I want is a model 21 with 32" barrels, all I care is the bores and action is good. I want to have it restocked for me to make a side by side sporting clays gun with. I can see and hear you now grumbling. All the guns I have found for sale on-line are in really nice shape and going in the $6,000.00 plus price range. Are there any beaters out there that just need work? I am not opossed to buying one of these in the $6,000.00 plus range. I just was hoping to leave them for guys that want an original in good shape. What I am looking for can be a gun that needs to be reblued, restocked, and even some other not so costly repairs. Any help would be much appreciated.

For those who have fought for it Freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.
1marine89 #93274 05/02/08 07:14 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Marine, I've gone the same route as you are considering, with a 21 Trap for serious sporting clays shooting. So I know how you feel looking for a reasonably priced 21, 32" or even 30". They are few and far between. But they are out there. One thought, by the time you find a cheaper one that may need mech work and restocking, you might be better served finding a decent one that is good to go and has stock dims close to what you need to shoot well. If the stock is short you can have a spacer and new pad installed for sporting, keep the original pad in case you want to sell the gun later on. Not all that much additional cost. 21 Trap guns are usually found with a wider range of stock dims than 21 Ducks which generally have a lower comb. Personally I wouldn't worry one wit about modifying an all original gun, once you buy it it's your gun to do with what you will. 21's aren't all that rare. Also it's more fun IMO to shoot often and well with the gun than to keep it in a safe because it's mainly a collector piece. Again, everyone, that is just my opinion.

Thank you for your contribution to our country and the people of Iraq. I agree 100% with your mantra. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Silvers #93278 05/02/08 07:33 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Silvers I see you are also from the Northeast. I am from Connecticut. Anyways thanks for your info. I think the way its going to go down is I do buy a gun in the $6,000.00 or so price range and have the work I want done to it. If you don't mind me asking you? Who did your work for you?

I am having a stock made when I come home on vacation in sept. Its for an old Beretta Silver hawk made around 1969. I am going to have Wenig do that stock. I also was thinking for the 21 either Doug Turnbull or Wenig. I think I will have Turnbull do all the metalwork. I thought about Andy's Custom shop. However I e-mailed them sometime ago to have work done on a field grade 21 I have and never heard a word back. Wenig and Turnbull were very prompt to reply. However I am open to any suggestions.

For those who have fought for it Freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.
1marine89 #93281 05/02/08 07:55 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

marine - first, thanks for your service to our country! Much appreciated on my part.

IMO, the M-21 is one of the best places to start on a SXS target gun. You can have a new stock made for a M-21 if you wish to store the OE stock for possible future resale. I think you ill be better served by buying a good condition gun as this usually also indicates one not shot excessively. I found an aftermarket stock at a gunshow and fitted it to my Skeet gun. Dale Tate in Calf. bent and padded it out for me. Andy's is out of business - be thankful you didn't have work there (sad story - check threads).

1marine89 #93282 05/02/08 08:00 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am in PA. My 21 Trap stock was almost perfect for me when I found it. The stock was a bit short at 14-1/4" with the red Win pad and I had a 1/2" spacer and new Kickeeze sporting pad fitted by a local guy, so now it's 14-3/4". That's really all I did to it. No restocking, no refinishing of wood or metal.

I don't know if you've had quality restocking done but you're probably looking at ~$3-4k depending on the wood selection and what you want done. That's a big chunk of money. Regarding a sporting gun, sooner or later you or someone will ding the stock when going in or out of the cage, and IMO it's not the best idea to put a ton of money into a really good stock that you have to baby. I understand Andy CS is out of biz but of course Wenig and Turnbull do very high quality work. I guess it depends what you want - if a 21 for serious sporting then I think you can do it without putting a ton of extra $ in the gun once you buy it. On the other hand if you want a show stopper when on the course, the sky is the limit when you get into custom stocks with really high grade wood. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Silvers #93283 05/02/08 08:15 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Silvers,

You are very right about what you have said. That also explains why I never heard back from Andy's. As far as the stock goes I am not looking to impress other guys out there or one up anyone. I do love beautiful wood. I would be willing to spend a few grand to get it custom fitted to me and have a nice piece of wood. Doesn't have to be a show stopper. Yes I know about dinging a sporting clays gun. Depending on the stock that Wenigs builds for me this summer I will decide on for the 21. If the bluing is fine on the gun I buy I will leave it as is. I will get the forcing cones lenghted and chokes to .015 each barrel. Other then that I will be ready to shoot when I get back to the states.

1marine89 #93284 05/02/08 08:22 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rocketman,

Thanks for your info. Yes i will keep the OEM stock I have room in the gun vault for it no problem. However I doubt I will sell it. But I never say never. So Andy's was that bad??????? I am glad then that I never had work done there for sure.

As for my service, I am out of the Corps now. I did my time from 1989 to 1995. I was in the first Gulf war and Somalia. I am here now as a DOD contractor fixing the Army's helicopters.

1marine89 #93285 05/02/08 08:36 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

We see early non ejector, double trigger, Model 21s occasionally for around $3000. One just sold at a local show for less than $2500. Unfortunately, 32" barrels are hard to find on these early guns. The non ejector 21 is a very user friendly gun with no maintenence or reliability issues and works very easily. However, the absence of a single trigger may not be to your liking.

1marine89 #93287 05/02/08 08:40 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Devil Dog,

I understand your desire for a Model 21 for targets. I wanted a Model 21 but very recently purchased a Model 23 Heavy Duck for waterfowling and target. Nope, it's not a Model 21 but with the modern steel barrels it will shoot steel shot and hopefully hold up for many, many thousands of target and heavy hunting rounds.

Someday I'll buy a Model 21...

Mark
USMC, ret.

USMC Retired
Mark Ouellette #93291 05/02/08 09:14 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

MarkOue,

I have two model 23's one is a Heavy duck. From all I have read the model 21 is the strongest action ever built. I belive and I am NOT Qouting this that in the book Model 21 its states a crazy amount of proof rounds they put thru the 21. It was stopped if I remember correctly because it became to expensive to continue. it had already surpassed all other American made doubles of the time. Sorry i can not give you the exact. Its been a while since I have read the book. I also do not have it here in Iraq to look up. However I highly recommend every model 21 fan to buy it and read it. Great book loaded with info and great pictures too. what gave away I am a Devil Dog????? My lack of spelling and grammer?????? I could have been an officer. LOL

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.