May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Argo44, bigblock, Jtplumb, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 223 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,033
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between a flatside model 21 and the regular 21 action? Also, were DT's only made on earlier guns or did they make them on later guns as well?
Thank you!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The original Model 21 had reinforcement bosses on the sides of the action. Subsequent usage showed that they did not contribute to the strenght of the action and for cosmetic/weight reasons they were ground, filed off leaving a flat surface that some thought/think more attractive for engraving and save a bit of weight. The 'flat side' option then became synonymous with the 'Custom Built' guns and later the Custom Shop guns.
Double triggers were orignally offered while the Winchester single triger was in development. At any time during the manufacturing history, one could and still can from CSMC order a Model 21 with double triggers.-Dick

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you very much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could be I'm misremembering, but I seem to recall that the ST became "standard" on the Model 21 mid to late 40's, which was long before the gun became a custom shop only product. (Also true of automatic ejectors?) So while you could still order a DT 21, you don't see a lot of them other than on early guns and a relative few later special orders.

Personally, I like the appearance of the bosses on a 21--as I also do on a Fox. Helps to dress up the boxlock receiver, which can otherwise be pretty plain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "flat side" rounded frames that were ordered back before the Custom Shop took over production had the side panels and bottom edges removed by hand file. This left a slight bulge on the sides of the frame, only noticed on close inspection. A picture on page 52 of Schwing. The weight saving was less than 2 oz.

The Custom Shop guns had the side panels milled off for a flat side rounded frame(the bottom edges of the frame and the area behind the fences were rounded).

Now, in the first year of production, there were a few "true" flat side frames built. They had no side panels and had sharp edges at the bottom of the frame except for a small are at the hinge pin that was rounded. Picture on page 51 of Schwing.

I agree with Larry, I like the side panels much better that the smooth sides.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, I see the difference now on some pics on Galazan's site. They have a 21 Flatside with DT's for a reasonable price. Can't tell if it has been restocked though, it may have. They also have a 32" Duck, that looks good and has a very short LOP, so I would need to restock it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless special ordered, all 21 Duck Grades will have a short LOP. That was to accommodate the heavy clothing worn when duck hunting in cold weather.
It might be easier to find a 32" trap gun that has a longer LOP.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

kevin I am assuming you are reffering to the striaght grip Model 21 Duck on Galazan's site?????? I don't believe that was restocked. Thats a beauty and I have been considering buying it. better jump if you want it..... LOL actually I have a few irons in the fire so I am not in the position to buy it now. I hope it does not sell anytime soon. I do like that very much. Yes you and I would both have to either have it restocked or altered. I would go the restock and hang onto the original stock.

For those who have fought for it Freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.
Sidelock
Sidelock

32" Duck's are very nice for the blind but they were standard with 13&5/8" LOP and pistol grip, which was one of the smartest things Winchester ever did as this makes them very comfortable and easy to control for cold weather use. A 1950 Winchester catalog does say it was a $4.60 option for straight grip but lists no LOP. In any event the gun should be marked 'Duck' on the floorplate and I would get a Cody letter stating the gun was originally sold as a Duck before purchase. In any event, Duck chokes are usually about 35 thousands. With Kent TM #1 shot, 50 yd goose kills are very possible but I would not purchase one and modify the chokes. They were made for waterfowl hunting.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dick_dup1,

This gun has a stock that measures 14-1/4" X 1-1/2" X 2-1/4" AE SST late 1940's 7lbs 11oz for $7,999.00. Kevin this is the gun you are talking about I do believe. Its the only Duck grade with straight grip on Galazans site right now. I want it!!!!!!!!!!!! All I would do is lenghten the forcing cones, open the chokes to .015 in each barrel. Then have a stock made for it. I could still use it for ducks and upland. My favorite duck spot is loaded with woodies, teal, and greenheads. They come in to the decoys so nice. The farthest shot you could even get in there is 25 yards. Its thick with trees and cattails. I have had great luck with these chokes on ducks and upland game.

For those who have fought for it Freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.