May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jeremy Pearce, canvasback, Bill Davis, Toby Barclay), 966 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,526
Posts545,839
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, That premise is mostly on track as the Watco is definitely the thinnest product I used and really soaked in. But the Gilespie Tung Varnish has a lower viscosity than the polyurethane or the Permalyn, yet is the lightest color on the wood. Although it darkened the wood slightly less than the polyurethane, it seemed to enhance the grain more. My little experiment taught me that we can't simply wet our wood with water, alcohol, or mineral spirits and get a perfect notion of the appearance of our final finish. Also, the same finish that really popped the grain of an English or French walnut might hide the grain of a dark Turkish or Black walnut stock. The differences were more dramatic than I expected and I merely wished to see which finishes either concealed or enhanced visability of a glue joint on a stock repair.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used waterlox for stocks and furniture. I still prefer my own modification of the English linseed type finish that circulated here a year or so ago. I add more carnauba to mine. Waterlox is more akin to poly than oil for me. Doesn't rub out as well, though it does build fast and gives a clear finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hansli, is that the carnauba I am thinking about? :-)

As thin colourless products go I've been trying out Minwax Antique Oil laced with a
dash of BLO and applied by hand rubbing. Very satisfactory results. You start off by
sealing with just Antique Oil and OOOO steel wool and then hand rub with the afore
mentioned mix. The Antique Oil really penetrates and mixed with BLO dries a little
slower to allow you to caress the stock properly. Several coats give a nice luster.
Some OOOO wool in between coats.

Do bear with me, as the local availability of products is limited to say the least.
I was very lucky to find the Antique Oil as it was imported specially for a customer
that finally only bought a few tins and left the rest to be found by yours truly.

The Antique Oil was recommended some time ago by a generous board member
and I could not believe when I found some locally.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Same here, Tex. Initially, halved the basic Hadoke recipe but put in 200gr. of carnauba flakes by mistake instead of a 100 and stuck with it. Actually, if you ever make this stuff for friends as I've done a couple of times, makes a smaller container and they can cut it with more turps and BL if they like. Don't need a drier; you can put it in the safe more or less dustfree and forget about it for awhile--which can be a good thing. Been cutting it back with rottenstone and piece of jigging felt on AyA numba 2 which hadn't been touched since last Sept.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes JC, the very stuff. Gives the oil more body and better grain filling characteristics. I'm experimenting with it as an additive to cheap shampoo to add lustrous shine and bounce to bald guys. If it sells, we may have a market for that warehouse of liquid you have. We need to get some to Jack so he has yet another bottle of whatizit on the shelf.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice to know some of you like 'Salopian Sheep Dip' It's the Lanolin you know?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Peter, I save the anhydrous lanolin for an additive to the Ed's Red cleaner. And for holsters, belts. Lately, I've been wrapping a cotton rag soaked in Ballistol around barrel and frame of my Dan Wesson and sticking the whole thing in the holster. Ballistol allegedly binds molecularly with tannic acid in the gunleather and creates a harmless compound (according to their adverts at least). By the by, no woolies this month; view of Wrekin and the Stretton Hills from Lyn Hill.

jack

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.