March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jeremy Pearce, ksauers1, Lloyd3, jcn, 1 invisible), 880 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rabbit
I don't see the connection between case color "restoration" and short chambers. Did you dance him around on that one also; not clear until we get him quoting you but there must have been some provocation to get him to produce a defense of Ithaca passing the torch so to speak. Sounds like a guy who spent too much time around Bill Ruger and feels the conviction that he knows better than anybody.

jack

rabbit, I didn't "dance" him around about anything. In this thread I mentioned the fact that he was using the torch method. Perhaps I was smug mentioning "Ed" but I don't think any of my posts were out of line. I wanted to alert my fellow board members what they might expect if sending a gun to Diamond to be worked on.

My private emails to him were the same, I inquired about work, was told chamber lengthening was mandatory and subsequently told him that was unacceptable. A few days later I received the email posted above. I imagine a board member alerted him to the fact he was being discussed.

I did not impugn the man, in fact I went out of my way to say he was courteous and prompt in all corrospondence. I offered no derogatory opinions, I stated facts and let you draw your own conclusions.

It is my opinion, however, that mandatory lengthening of chambers is unacceptable, to me, as is torch coloring.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob:

Didn't see the topic linked. Not wanting to ride to anyone's defense or question your characterization of the Fluesmith; just a day late and wondered what the fuss was about. Typical gawker behavior probably. The CW do change over time, do it not? The bit about the "dark ages" at Ithaca is interesting its own right.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Has anyone actually checked the hardness of one of these "torch colored" guns? I would think that it would be all over the place, depending upon which area you tested. To my understanding, you would in essence be annealing some areas of the action, tempering others.
I find nothing slanderous about disapproving of the practice, and the comparison to "Ed" is valid. Telling someone before hand doesn't make the process kosher. What if I told you I was going to ream your barrel walls to .008", and you didn't fully understand the ramifications? Would it be slander if someone else told you I was about to ruin the gun?
As far as the mandatory chamber lengthening, it seems to me Les' liability starts at that point, not ends.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why is this stuff only happenin' to the American classics, hmmmm?
Its not like there are no other guns worthy of the torch.
Well, the American only gun buyer looks at the percent of case color first - it is his true piece of the cross. If suckered in with this, out comes his wallet...these guys know it.
You know it!
Show me a torched Purdey, thats where the bucks would be, and not a field grade LC.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell

You can not use case color or finish to judge British guns as there is a common practice of frequent refinishing or touching up as needed/desired. The problem is that mose American guns with no case fall in the near $500.00 price range and with lots of case several times that amount, but the cost of recasing is almost as much as the difference in price if done well. A Purdey on the other hand is a higher dollor gun and easier to recover refinishing/faking cost when done well.

Tourched guns are a cheap attempt to make a low dollar gun look like a much higher dollar gun. Like refinishing a classic car in a attempt to make it look factory perfect. A scam to many.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The difference between a gone grey Purdey, and a high conditioned one is in the tens of thousands.
Why not go big then?
The English gun buyer knows there's more to a gun than its color - maybe!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's proof the English are beyond repair:

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/wa..._in_doorway.php

Sidelock
Sidelock

Today's Englishman is scared of his own shadow.
Storefront radical Islam is okay in London and Birmingham, and beheading videos their best sellers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would get away from there as fast as possible! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh no, not a loose .22 short. Grab your brolly and help secure the island.

jack

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.