March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Dan R, Hoot4570, ChiefAmungum, canvasback, 2 invisible), 356 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
HackCW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A customer of mine is looking to bid on a Parker VHE 28 ga, completely restored by delGreco. How does this affect the value of the gun in relation to Blue Book values?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by HackCW; 06/13/08 07:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

For most collectors any restorations destroys the collectors value. That said many guns have been freshened up over the years and most people do not even know about it. It pays to keep high grade guns in pristine shape or have them returned to pristine shape if it can be done with out detection. Badly done restorations make guns into shooters in my book. If anyone knows how to do it right it is DelGreco. That assumes the last customer wanted it done right.

Now another thing to consider is that there are not that many Parker VHE 28's out there. How badly does your customer want one? If he passes on this one he may have to wait months to years before the next one comes along. Look at the quality of the restoration before you decide to pass on this gun. If it is well done I might just accept the gun as is. It would be much higher on my list than one of the later repro Parkers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A refinished Parker VHE 28 ga. is what it is and should be valued as such. As KY Jon said, it all depends on how well it was done. I think it is a dirty trick if someone tries to pass a refinished gun on as high-condition original, though most experienced collectors would be able to determine a refinish from an original. A lot of guns got pretty beat up and worn from decades of field use and a VHE was made as a field gun, so its refinished condition may be worth a hell of a lot more than what it might have been before refinishing. The only reason (in my mind) to refinish a gun is if it is just plum worn out and used up.

HackCW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For arguments sake, if the gun were worth $8000 in it's original unaltered state, say 50% case & blue, barrels unblemished; what would be a fair price for the gun if it were restored to pristine condition by delGreco.

Thanks for the advice & comments.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Off the top IMO I would say it would drop it 1/4 to 1/2 from the blue book index. A generalization.

But the Del Grego/Turnbull and other quality jobs will retain increased value as compared to some of the "hacked jobs" you will see if you look. There are big difference in prices in big difference in quality work.

Last edited by Timothy S; 06/13/08 11:58 PM.
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Has your customer verified the gun was redone by Del Greco, or is that just what the seller is telling him? The Larry Baer book opines that redone guns should be valued at no more than NRA"Good", but from what I have observed that may be changing, esp. with a 28.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to take anything away from Del Grego because for what they do, they do it very well. . . that being said, if the VHE was produced in the Parker Bros. Meriden days it would not look that way after leaving Del Grego's shop. They do them up the way Remington did them which, for a Parker Bros. Meriden era gun, is wrong and in my mind very much devalues a Parker. Just my HO

Dean Romig

Sidelock
Sidelock

The biggest part of the fallacy regarding restored guns is that it often compares something that exists (a restored gun in 100% condition) to something that doesn't exist (an original gun in 100% condition).

There are probably more misleading 'truths' in the Parker community than any other. For example, 'condition means everything to a collector' is a big lie. Another one is 'never say never when it comes to Parkers'. Another one is 'ejector guns are worth XX% more than non ejector guns.'

Sidelock
Sidelock

GregSY, I disagree with you about "never say never" being a lie or a "misleading 'truth'" There are countless contradictions to what has been written about Parkers by the experts and what is on record in the archives of copied stock books and order books to the extent that the word "never" has been proven to be the "lie."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dam16, doesn't it make sence that a late gun would ring true with a Del Grego re-finish? I agree that a early gun with the late finish does not look right.

Greg, I agree with you regarding the ejectors and Parkers. That is the way it is, but damn it is way out of wack.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.