March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (gunmaker, Sandlapper, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 350 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,005
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO Blue Book values have not always kept up with market prices especially on lower grade Parkers. Real world prices of lower grade Parkers has climbed very rapidly in the last few years whereas high grade Parker prices have remained more static. If you attend a Vintagers event or side by competition there is a great acceptance of restored classics. Seems to me many people want their guns to look as good as they do in their period clothing. In this regard Baer's book is yesterday's news because there is a much larger group of shooters who plan to or use the guns regularly vs. collectors simply looking to buy and sell or buy, hold and sell. Determining a fair price on a restoration depends on many factors, quality, condition and the "uniqueness" of the gun. A VHE 28 with good dimensions is desireable piece and we all know what demand vs. supply does to price. The lower grade Parkers remain the workhorses they were meant to be and because they are used they will all need some restoration as the decades pass. Hopefully your customer has been "shopping" for a VH or VHE 28 and seen what they are going for, that to me is the best way to try and get an idea of a "range" to start from rather than relying on the Blue Book.

BTW. It is DelGrego not DelGreco. They are very nice people and if your customer calls them I bet Babe will give you some idea of what the restored gun is currently going for.

Last edited by nhcrowshooter; 06/14/08 07:16 AM.

A contrary view, if I may....

There are many of us that are not "TRUE COLLECTORS" but enjoy fine old American SxS's. We shoot them at clays, and also hunt birds.

I will often purchase a nicely refinished classic SxS to use; and pay a substantial amount to do so. I have paid $2k to $4k for refinished SxS's, and am likely to do so again.

As one poster above pointed out, there aren't many (any?) 100% original condition classics in existence, or for sale. If one wants to hunt with a classic SxS, refinished is a practical option. Personally, I woud prefer a nicely refinished graded SxS over one in original 50% condition. That second coat of rust blueing, or linseed oil, doesn't offend me at all. Nor does refreshed checkering.

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes Tim, a Del Grego re-do of a late (Remington era) Parker would definitely be the correct way to go but only if absolutely necessary. Refinishing an original nice condition VHE 28 ga. simply on a whim, even if done by Del Grego, probably will not enhance its value and may even diminish it.

(bold-face type is for nhcrowshooter)

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 06/14/08 07:07 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dam mine wss a typo, excuse me. I did know the correct spelling and annuciation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are lots of refinished guns out there being touted as having been restored by the big name restoration houses like Turnbull and El Greco (pun), when in fact, they were done by others, sometimes poorly. These are dishonest sellers trying to reap a higher price by misrepresenting the gun. If I were in the market for a gun claiming to be restored by a name restoration house, I'd ask for evidence. If it couldn't be produced (as is almost always the case) I'd disregard the claim of the name and judge it strickly on it's condition. Turnbull and Del Grego restorations will have maintained nice original sharpness of corners on the metal and wood. Casecolors and other metal finishes will have charateristics of the restoration house that may also be additonal clues as to who did the restoration and it's correctness. Example: many restorations by inexperienced or unknowing 'smiths will have the wrong finish on a component like the triggerguard or forend metal. Some research of the correct finishes and learning the methods used by Del Grego will help identify their work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A quick look around the net this AM. Steve Barnett is asking $5500 for a VH 28 with cut barrels and a pinned stock. Ivory Beads is asking $15,500 for a VHE 28 as new DelGrego restoration.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For me as a collector/shooter, the value of a restored gun is substantially reduced but with the advent of the Internet and the increase in the amount of wealth available for such purchases, the value will be determined when the buyer decides to purchase and the seller decides to sell and money chnages hands. I am often surprised today by what others will pay for refinished or substandard goods. Some of this is lack of knowledge, experience and some is "I have to have it. I don't care what it costs!'.
As others have said, without an iron clad provenance treat the gun as an ordinary refinish on its own merits.

One last thought, if the customer has to ask for an opinion, he probably should not be purchasing until he has enough experience to make his own judgement. I am seeing in every area of collecting, faked/poorly refinished goods sold to individuals with the money but not the experience and invariable all those involved in the purchase/sale suffer in the long run when the true nature of the goods is revealed. For a truly extraordinary look at what can happen, read 'The Billionaires Vinegar' How Forbes purchased a bottle of wine that almost assuredly is now considered fake and how the Rare Wine Trade is just crooks making money.-Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 06/14/08 09:46 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Off your topic, but your profile says you are a stockmaker and in Georgia, but gives no contact information. I would like to know more about what you do and how to contact you, and where you are located, if you don't mind. You can email me at kinglarr@knology.net if you would be so kind.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Once they've been cut barrels can't be grown any longer or chokes properly put back in and a pinned stock is a broken stock with an obvious repair, so he may get $5500 for it but it has been there a while indicating the guy that "just has to have it" hasn't shown up yet. And we'll see if Jim & Jerry get their asking price for the "as new Del Grego restoration.
Dick_dup1 hit the nail squarely on the head with his post.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Frankly, for similar or less money, I'd much rather have a nice 28g Repro than a chopped barrel, pinned stock, V grade extractor gun that likely has other problems as well.

Last edited by Chuck H; 06/14/08 12:09 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.