May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (FelixD, DSchrank, Licensed to kill, ClapperZapper, azgreg, 2 invisible), 393 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,793
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#982 09/14/06 03:03 PM

The top books or programs for training a RETRIEVER (don't have much help in the pointer/setter arena to offer)

1) Ten Minute Retriever by John and Amy Dahl
(This book is pretty easy to use and
understand)
2) Smart Works by Evan Graham

3) Any of Mike Lardy's training manuals or videos

I personally used the "10 Minute Retriever" to train my dogs. I found the FF to be a little difficult to follow, but it did produce excellent results. I've heard that Smart Fetch is a little easier to follow and use. I've used Lardy's video on collar conditioning, which I found very helpful.

For the money "10 Minute Retriever" is probably the best thing going. Its starts you out at puppy and works you right through to the finished dog.

Another suggestion is to find a retriever club in your area. Those people can help you with materials, drills, and general advice. They may also get you hooked on retriever games...which can be VERY addictive.

One other option is to find a pro in your area. They are often willing to let you train with them. Many times they have a need for one more person to throw ducks. In exchange for throwing you'll get to watch them, they'll throw marks for you, and if they are nice people they'll even give you some helpful tips from time to time.

Good luck,

Todd

Youth is stolen by Wisdom.
#983 09/14/06 03:15 PM

Chuck H,

I just re-read the posts, and discovered that you are getting a started dog. Hopefully you will have had an opportunity to train for a few days with the previous owner. The handler-dog relationship is made up of more than just words, whistles, and casts. Well trained dogs will take direction from body language and body position as well. You should also figure out what kind of corrections the dog is used to.

Some common commands that often mistaken:

1) BACK---this means run away from the handler to make a BLIND retrieve...usually the dog's name is used to send him on a MARK. Sending a well trained retriever on "BACK" for a MARK is likely to confuse them, as they should expect a blind retrieve.

2) COME---rarely used by most pros... "HERE!" is the command. In our house we use "come" as a suggestion or request. I don't use it in the field. "HERE!" is the command I enforce, "come" is not enforced.

3) DEAD BIRD--- this is used from the heel position to prepare the dog to run a blind retrieve. Using "dead bird" to encourage your dog to find a lost bird may result in confusion.

4) STAY--- not typically used by pros. "SIT!" means "SIT". The dog is not expected to move until released.

All of these commands vary a little from pro to pro, and probably region to region. I suggest you talk to the previous owner to find out what the dog is used to.

Good luck,

Todd

Youth is stolen by Wisdom.
#984 09/14/06 09:43 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, about the dogs diet, I also would ask the owner what he was using, also Todd said you were getting a started dog, so even more reason to ask him what he has been feeding him.
I would also think that by now all the shots have been given, and that the dog is on Frontline and heartworm medicine, especially where you are from.
The previous owner should give you a list of all the shots, and also of the commands he has been using.
As far as books out there, there are as many as gun books. Todd and Eugene listed a few and I'm sure the owner will suggest a few also.
Good luck with your dog when you get it. Keep us posted with pictures and his progress and name. Good luck. David

David

#985 09/16/06 11:40 AM

hey Gerald

Nice to know your dog turned out great. On my side I will have a lonely season as my bitch gave birth to 8 nice puppies. I'll have to do without her and I just started a new dog and she is not ready yet. Maybe I'll try her on grouse cause she has great bird sense but I hate going in the field with an unfinished dog. Anyway congratulation for your dog's progress and success

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.