May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Borderbill, Stanton Hillis, AZMike, 2 invisible), 157 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,543
Posts546,072
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

JM - if "TSP" was totally definitive of Edwardian Brit culture, I'd accept your point. However, I find it to be a wee tad more complex than that. I do not find the top layer of that culture definitive of the whole.

Is your disdane for Edwardian Brit utter, or is it confined to a style of clothing? For example, how do you feel about Brit guns of that period? What is your take on wearing kilts?

Are you offended by the wearing of costumes at Cowboy Action Shooting? Vintage automobile club gatherings? Vintage baseball?

Sidelock
Sidelock

And the most offensive of traditional sporting clothing; Modern golf.

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
JM - if "TSP" was totally definitive of Edwardian Brit culture, I'd accept your point. However, I find it to be a wee tad more complex than that. I do not find the top layer of that culture definitive of the whole.

Ah, but that is precisely the "layer" of culture the Vintagers attempt to emulate!

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
Is your disdane for Edwardian Brit utter, or is it confined to a style of clothing? For example, how do you feel about Brit guns of that period? What is your take on wearing kilts?

My disdain is for a self-important class of irrelevant twits who ultimately stumbled off the pages of history in WW1, blindly leading a generation of unquestioning commoners to meaningless deaths. Who but a fool would emulate a fool?

The guns were made, not by 'gentlemen' in breeks, but by skilled workers in apron and overalls -- many of whom were lost at places like Ypres. The guns they made are very nice indeed.

The kilt, in the Highlands, is only worn by pipers, wedding parties, and tourists hoping to be mistaken for Highlanders. Beyond the Highlands, it is worn mostly by North Americans whose kiltless ancestors were booted out of the Highlands by kilt-wearing Anglo-Scot aristos who preferred, for various reasons, to live with sheep.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I dont know of any modern day Vintagers who are attempting to emulate any "layer of culture" We dont shoot peasants or irish. My Grandfather was at Ypres, with the Essex and Kent Scottish. He died there. He wore a kilt. You are a twit, Maloney.

Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
I dont know of any modern day Vintagers who are attempting to emulate any "layer of culture"...you are a twit, Maloney

I haven't noticed any Vintagers wearing working men's clothes. Take a good look at the "what to wear" page on their website, LD - it is quite clear about the "layer of culture" they're emulating.

Could it be that your grandfather fought with the Essex at Ypres? The Essex & Kent Scottish wasn't formed until 1954. The kilt-wearing Highlander regiments are among the world's best - my father fought alongside them at Meuse-Argonne - and no offense was intended. But regardless of your name-calling, what I said about the kilt in the Highlands today, and in the Scottish diaspora, is a fact.

Last edited by jack maloney; 06/16/08 06:44 PM.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last Dollar,
Was that you being carried from station to station in the sedan chair?

Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.vintagers.org/

Is that Sir Rabbit in those nickers...

Sidelock
Sidelock

The name of the regiment is now the Essex and Kent Scottish. It was formed as the Essex Scottish. I wear the kilt, proudly, because its part of my family heritage. I wore the kilt long before I knew an organization such as the vintagers even existed. My Paternal Grandfather lost his life at Ypres, in a Scottish regiment. My maternal Grandfather , Charles Wesly Ferguson, Retired of wounds, BrigGen Her majesties Canadian forces wore the kilt. My Dad ,My Uncles, Charles, Kenneth, Walter all served, all wore the kilt. My Uncle Gordon Gray, served with the Princess Pats, and wore the kilt. I make no apology for honoring and carrying on a family tradition. When I hear a windbag like this Maloney dishonoring same, I take offense.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a Vintager member, jOE. Nice old bowler, collarless shirt, galluses (suspenders to you moderns), and the hottest pair of pants I've ever lived in for five hours in 06 at Sandanonna. Shooting my G Lefever. Can't post as pix are on the wife's disc which is like saying they ain't anywhere that can be determined easily. If I were in the vicinity of the shooting party it would be as a beater altho I'd prefer the James Mason role. WWI has been mentionned. Full doughboy rig including gas mask would have been appropriate for the dustbowl at Pintail Pt. last yr.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Got no problem with the clans either. Saw a picture recently of Last Dollar in his kiltie. Lookin good. I dinna ken why any Scot would wear other. Glengarry would have been nice also.

jack

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.