May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Argo44), 227 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,565
Posts546,389
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've come across one in 16ga at a very good price. I don't need it, but I am tempted.

My question is whether or not it's been restocked, although I'm not sure I really care. The pistol grip is almost not there, rounded and backward-sweeping like the ones I've seen on some early Hunter Arms guns. The stock cheeks are checkered to match. The length of pull may be a bit short over a relatively modern pad but I haven't yet measured.

Anyway, anyone seen one like this, or know if the stock might be original? Thanks...

Last edited by Fin2Feather; 06/20/08 12:00 PM.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are some Fulton ads at the beginning of the PictureTrail that show the early guns with the Hunter Arms Half Grip
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=17126039
The Fulton Special had checkered cheeks, but to my knowledge was only offered with a full pistol grip. The Hunter Special (introduced in 1937) did not have checkered cheeks, and had a full pistol grip.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This post is another reason to wish Roy Eckrose a speedy recovery. He probably knows more about the Nitro Specials than anybody.

Check the Summer 2007 DGJ for article on Lefever Nitro Specials by Bruce Foster. Has a photo of the open semi-pistol grip on page 148. I've never seen a Nitro Special with checkering on the stock cheeks.

I have a 16ga and really love it. If the price is right I wouldn't let the stock bother me if it fits you.

Jeff

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a few Fultons. One of them, marked "The Fulton Special" on the rt bbl top has less of a pistol grip than others. It also has Border engraving and a woodcock on the left cheek and a quail on the right.Top of the frame and lever are engraved as well.Its a 16...well used. I have never seen another so engraved. Good guns. I have one being restocked out now...also a 16.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Correction, meant frame not cheeks..sorry....cheeks are checkered tho..

Sidelock
Sidelock

LD: check the PictureTrail link above
Phil: looks like I answered a question you didn't ask-sorry

Last edited by revdocdrew; 06/20/08 01:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Fultons and Nitros are two different critters from different companies. To my thinking a restocking with good wood and checkering will add value to all but 95% condition or better Nitros.

Last Dollar; Your Fulton Special sounds like all the ones I have owned, Quail on one side, woodcock on the other with heavy Scrollwork on the bottom, The hunter Special has no engraving. These are the most gun for the money in todays market.. As for the Nitro Special, the early ones had a rounded half pistol grip, Later ones a capped pistol grip. The one in Question is either a restock or has the checkered side panel added to the original stock.. MDC

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is this what you are talking about?

These are original stocks. I believe that at first Ithaca was using a more traditional pistol grip, but soon went to this to save money. Hopefully, some one with more Nitro knowledge will chime in.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nitro cheeks were not checkered. Pistol grip profile depends on age. Earlier ones as shown, 1930ish and after are more conventional.

Last edited by Walter C. Snyder; 06/20/08 06:27 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all. Pete, that's definitely the grip, but the cheeks are more pointed and are checkered. If it's still there today I'll take a look to see if I can tell if it's decorative or covering a pin. What do you think about $300?

Last edited by Fin2Feather; 06/21/08 01:37 PM.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Fin2Feather
Thanks all. Pete, that's definitely the grip, but the cheeks are more pointed and are checkered. If it's still there today I'll take a look to see if I can tell if it's decorative or covering a pin. What do you think about $300?
I just grabbed some images off of Gunbroker... Walt is the expert on all things Ithaca. Trust his word.

If the barrels are tight and not pitted, a nice sxs hunter. For $300 how can you go wrong?

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Went back for another look. Stock is interesting; appears to be original and the checkering on the cheeks definitley matches the grip and forearm. I looked at the DGJ aricle by Bruce Foster and the pistol grip style is pictured there; checkering appears the same too; kind of an elongated diamond pattern.

The downside: the receiver appears to have been blued and maybe the barrels reblued too, and there appears to have been some buffing done; the barrel stamping is rather faint and the flying geese are faint in areas. The trigger plate and the forend iron are not blued; no case colors showing. Trigger plate screw has definitely been buggered a bit.

The lockup is tight, bores look good, lever is right, overall condition of the gun is decent. Would probably make someone a good shooter. I'd probably hang on to it for a while, but since I've got too many other guns to shoot as it is I'm only interested if I could make a few buck on it after the new wears off, so with the bluing and at $300 (pretty firm, I think) I'll probably pass.

I think you're wise to pass, too many decent ones around for a little more money. Blued frames, aagh..MDC

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fin2Feather,
do you have the gun's sn? I am looking for an early example, e.g. as close to 100000 as possible.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Walt,

I don't, but I will get it for you tomorrow.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think the gun's number is 255xxx; I forgot to write it down !

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Walter C. Snyder
Fin2Feather,
do you have the gun's sn? I am looking for an early example, e.g. as close to 100000 as possible.

Walter, The earliest I have is a 20 ga, ser # 192,4XX. Probly not near early enough for what you need?
It and two 410's I have are 1925-26 models, and have the stocks as shown. My 12 and 16 ga's are 1928 models and both have pistol grip stocks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Walt- I have 159695. 16ga with round knob. Is that early enough?

Cary

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Cary and h d hawg'r,
Thank you. The very earliest Nitros had a different barrel marking. I am trying to find just what it was. Is you gun marked differently from a later one you may have?
Any chance of a photo? You can certainly e-mail me at wsnyder@pinehurst.net if you want. I don't want to bore the 'other' folks with Ithaca research.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Walt- Right barrel "Lefever Nitro Special", left barrel " "Lefever Arms Co Ithaca, NY." Barrels are Belgian, LLH.
I'd never noticed but there's a "2" on the water table, left side.

The forend loop is stamped "PT" with a "4" on top of the lug itself.

Not a collectable, the butt stock was cut many years ago for my Great Aunt and it's been hot blued twice (including the frame) but the barrels still ring. Don't know how many thousands of rounds but I've had it since I was 14 (48 years ago) and my brother shot it during my eight years in Viet Nam. Never had a shell shorter than 2 3/4" in it.

It's in Roy's data bank.

Cary

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Cary
Walt- Right barrel "Lefever Nitro Special", left barrel " "Lefever Arms Co Ithaca, NY." Barrels are Belgian, LLH.
I'd never noticed but there's a "2" on the water table, left side.

LLH is Laurent Lochet-Habran:
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_Trade_Marks.html
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/art...aurent%20gb.htm

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Walt, I have 5 Nitro Specials, so here goes.
Top of right bbl on all 5, LEFEVER NITRO SPECIAL.
Top of left bbl on all 5, LEFEVER ARMS CO. ITHACA N.Y.

12 ga # 2645XX, a crown over D on bottom of both bbls. BP on fore end lug.
16 ga # 2673XX, LLH on bottom of both bbls. BP on fore end lug.
20 ga # 1924XX, LLH on bottom of both bbls. PT on fore end lug.
410 # 2054XX, SB&Co.1 (best I can make it out) on bottom of left bbl. PT on fore end lug.
410 # 2322XX, SB&Co.1 (again, best guess) on bottom of right bbl. Bottom of left bbl has about 6 places where letters or numbers were, but have been stamped over or peened out, or something! I've near went crosseyed trying to make it out, even used a magnifying glass. I used it on the "SB&Co.1" stamps too, and that's the best I can come up with on them. Bottom 1/2 or 2/3 of the letters is plain, but the top kinda fades out. The small "o" in Co is underlined, and I reckon the "1" could be an I, but there is nothing after that.
Is any of this what you're looking for? Hope it helps.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What would the chamber length be on a 16ga Nitro with a 255xxx serial number?

Last edited by Fin2Feather; 06/24/08 11:45 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If its a 12ga., I believe they were all 23/4". 16s might have been shorter to begin with...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Re: Researcher's remark--I for one am NOT bored by online Ithaca research; consider it a positive feature of the forum. Sort of like "found money"--no tax, spend it or toss it into a fountain!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Armstrong
...I for one am NOT bored by online Ithaca research; consider it a positive feature of the forum. Sort of like "found money"--no tax, spend it or toss it into a fountain!

Go for it, Walt.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

hd: the SB&Co. is likely Sanderson Bros. Steel Co.
This is a LC hammer gun with ROYAL STEEL stamped over the SB&Co. and 'C' for Crucible (which bought both Sanderson and Halcomb)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.