March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (smlekid, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 863 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#99487 06/22/08 07:27 AM
gomiata Offline OP
OP Offline

How many guns is enough? What would you consider a good collection for upland hunting?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The NEED for GUNS
" AS a practical matter, the average shooter with somewhere between two and six shotguns, depending on the gauge mix, has enough. Anybody ought to be happy with a couple, a few, or several. Other than that, it is not possible to have enough shotguns, and it is not desireable to have enough, since you then might not have any more. Conversely, it is desireable to have too many shotguns, but it is not possible to have too many. By definition, too many shotguns is not enough, less than enough is not too many, and enough are way too few."

This has been posted here in the past. As far as I know it is from an anonymous source, but I deem it quite accurate.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gomiata
How many guns is enough?

Just a few more

Sidelock
Sidelock

Possessions are a burden, generally. How many cameras, cars, aircraft, fishing rods, reels, outboard motors etc do we need? Two go-to guns are all I need, a 20 and a 12. That's enough. It reflects my age. I'm winnowing the others now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well thats just disgusting...what kind of example are you setting for the young?!....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

You will find that as you age your needs change. A few get to the point that they want as few things about them as possible and learn to use what they have to get by. Some find that change adds spice to their life. It is personal. I like a lot of different guns and many never get shot or hunted from year to year. I am their keeper as much as their owner.

If you like to shoot different guns and do not get stuck on one gun for everything, then your check book is your only limit. Just make sure that the gun value is written down and the way to dispose of your collection is written down as well. I have seen more than one collection bought for a pennies on the dollar because those who inherited the stuff had no interest or idea of the true value. You owe it to your family that if they do not want your guns to help them get as much money out of them as you can after you die. That way they can use the money to have fun just like you did and hopefully pass the money or fun on to others.

The desire for one bow and one arrow is a Canadian thing I hope. I am not that far behind King in years. If it is an age thing and if I feel the need to get down to just one or two guns, I hope that my doctor can treat me for the disease, in time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Concider that most folks in the world get by with none.For a hunter shooter one is a must. I believe most when they look back through life find that many of their best times in the field were with their cheapest guns,their first.Haveing moor than one tie is a waste in my book but many pairs of boots are needed,some need lots of ties and one pair of boots.I have had a hundred shotguns at one time and now get by just fine with one. no matter how many guns you have you will have one gun you use 90% of the time and would work for the other 10%.If you hunt and shoot sporting trap and skeet four guns would probably be nice but with choke tubes one gun will do it all unless you are serious and shooting for brass.
I shot a cylinder choked gun for many years both in the field and on the range and it never failed me but with trap did stick to 16yd but found nothing in sporting i couldn't hit doing my part.I passed on 50yd crossing phesant and let doves come in abit more but ducks fell in the decoys and those were fun years. When I shot for brass and to try to impress I used two guns a two barrel trapgun,unsingle and O/U and a sporting gun with tubes that worked for fun skeet that I never got serious about.
When someone comes over and you show your guns you can pull out one and say this is my baby or you can pull out twenty and then for the final gun pull out your baby. "To many guns is when your family goes without so you can have one more"

Sidelock
Sidelock

A general rule of thumb is "If you know how many you have, you don't have enough". I lived by this rule for several years, but find the older I get, the more I can be happy with fewer. Occasionally I will give one I rarely use to a younger person who shows a genuine interest in shooting, hunting and doubles, but is not in a position to lay out the $ to buy one. For me, it's kind of like planting trees with seeds I won't ever use myself. It's rewarding to watch them grow. Bill Frech

LCSMITH
Sidelock
Sidelock

I could easily get by with two. One would have to be a 12 gauge waterfowl gun and it would be an auto. I'd have a hard time choosing what the other would be. It would get used for 90% of my shooting. It would be a double choked around IC in the right barrel and mod or tighter in the left. I wouldn't want to carry the bulk of a twelve and the puny four-ten would be out of the question. I love the twenty-eight but there are times when the birds I hunt are wild and it isn't enough gun. That leaves the twenty and sixteen. I currently have about the same number of each but if I had to choose one it would be the twenty. Wait, I'd like to change my answer to four guns.

Skip

Sidelock
Sidelock

youd have to ask your wife or if in Kalifornia your significant other?

gunut
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.