AHFCA BO-WHOOP and W C LETTERMAN COMPETITIONS FOR 2018
Both events are shotgun competitions sponsored by the A H Fox Collectors Association Inc., and held in conjunction with the Northeast Side by Side event at Hidden Hollow Sporting Clays, Friendsville PA. Our 2019 shooting dates are June 6,7 & 8.
Our Bo-Whoop competition is aptly named for Nash Buckingham's HE Grade Super-Fox "Bo-Whoop” that to this day is recognized as the most legendary, long-range side-by-side shotgun in existence.
The William C Letterman Cup is a competition limited to vintage 12 gauge break open single-barrel trap (SBT) shotguns. William C Letterman was a noted Trap shooter who won the 1923 Pennsylvania Amateur Trapshooting Championship using a newly introduced Fox single-barrel trap shotgun - establishing a new record of 198 ex 200, and with a straight run of 168 birds.
SPECIFICS FOR THE BO-WHOOP LONG RANGE SHOOT:
• ANY make Side by Side shotgun may be used (Fox, Parker, LC Smith, Lefever, Winchester, Ithaca, RBL, Stevens, English guns, etc.)
• 10 gauge guns may be used – 1-1/4 ounce max shot charge for any gauge
• Shoot for score as many times as you want to. Only your highest score will be used.
• Practice shooting available at reduced cost
• Bo-Whoop Trophy awarded for highest score shot with an A H Fox designed shotgun
• 100% Purse payout for (three) highest scores/any gun = 50% 1st place & 30% 2nd place & 20% 3rd place. Added $200 to be divided 50/30/20 to top 3 shooters.
-$6 from each $20 entry will be dedicated to the purse payout. AHFCA will be adding $200 to the purse.
SPECIFICS FOR THE WILLIAM C LETTERMAN CUP:
• ANY VINTAGE (pre-1960) break open single-barrel trap (SBT) shotgun may be used. Anything newer than 1960 must be approved in advance by a Fox Collector rep. NO pump action or semi-auto shotguns no matter when the gun was made.
• Shoot for score as many times as you want to
• Practice shooting available at reduced cost
• 100% Purse payout for (3) highest scores/any gun = 50% 1st place & 30% 2nd place & 20% 3rd place
-$6 from each $20 entry will be dedicated to the purse payout. AHFCA will be adding $100 to the purse.
• NO shoot offs for tied high scores
PLEASE NOTE: SHOOTING WILL BEGIN AT NOON ON THURSDAY, 9:00 ON FRIDAY & SATURDAY. THERE WILL BE A SHOOT OFF FOR ALL TIES. QUALIFICATIONS WILL END AT 1:00 PM ON SATURDAY. THE SHOOT OFF WILL COMMENCE AT 2:00, SATURDAY AFTERNOON AT THE BW/WCL EVENT STAND. WE WILL START PROMPTLY AT 2:00, PLEASE BE ON TIME!! THANK YOU.
GENERAL INFO & SHOOTING GUIDELINES:
1. Competition is open to anyone. You don’t have to be a member of the A H Fox Collectors Association. Shooting signups will take place at the Northeast Side X Side event. No pre-entry is necessary.
2. The target presentations will be appropriate for tightly choked guns. Target menus will be prominently posted at each shooting butt.
3. Largest shot size allowed is 7-1/2 shot. Maximum shot charge for the Bo-Whoop Long Range Shoot is 1-1/4 ounces, and maximum is 1-1/8 ounce for the William C Letterman Cup. The AHFCA reserves the right to inspect all cartridges used to verify shot size and charge weight. Any shooter found in variance for score shooting will be disqualified.
4. SCORE SHOOTERS: Each entry fee of $20.00 entitles the competitor to shoot 10 cartridges for score. The Bo-Whoop Long Range menu will be five SIMULTANEOUS pairs of targets (also known as “true pairs”) = 10 targets. The William C Letterman Cup menu will be five pairs of singles “on call” = 10 targets. Again, for 2019 the presentations will be mixed due to the availability of three traps. Competitors may enter more than once. $6.00 from each Score entry fee ($20.00) will be allocated for Purse Payouts. 100% of allocated funds will be paid out - see % breakdowns above. Shooting for score starts on Thursday, June 6, and ends promptly on Saturday, June 8, at 1:00.
5. PRACTICE SHOOTERS: Practice shooting (reduced cost) is encouraged. The menu for practice shooting will be the same respectively, as for the Bo-Whoop Long Range Shoot and for the William C Letterman Cup. Entry fee for practice shooting is $10.00 per round. Please note that Practice scores are not eligible for Purse payouts.
6. All “for score” shooting will be witnessed by a Director or designee of the A. H. Fox Collectors Association Inc., and the shooter’s score will be recorded on our official event scorecards. Targets will be judged as “broken” or “dead” in the order shot, as per NSCA rules – minimum of a visible chip – dust does not count as a visible chip. For the Bo-Whoop, one shot may be fired at each target of the pair, or both shots at one of the targets. Nothing is established if one of the two simo targets is damaged coming off the trap – the pair will be repeated. The ruling “broken/lost” by the A. H. Fox Collector Association official is FINAL.
7. Our Bo-Whoop Trophy recognizes Excellence in Long Range Shooting. Trophy will be awarded to the shooter with the highest score that was shot with a genuine Ansley H Fox designed shotgun (Philadelphia Arms, Philly, Savage or CSMC). Note that Fox Model “B” or clones do not qualify.
8. NSCA Rules will be used insofar as possible for anything not specifically noted herein. The AHFCA reserves the right to make any changes necessary to these guidelines at any time due to unanticipated circumstances or field conditions.