April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, graybeardtmm3, canvasback, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 811 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,828
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Browning advises that their Japanese-made guns are appropriate for use with steel.

I have shot steel in my 3" chambered BSS for at least 20 years without any issues. However, I have never heard this, Larry. Where did you find this information?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Browning advises that their Japanese-made guns are appropriate for use with steel.

Last time I looked, that was Browning's advice for the Miroku A5 barrels that also fit the Belgian A5s.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

I have shot steel in my 3" chambered BSS for at least 20 years without any issues. However, I have never heard this, Larry. Where did you find this information?

SRH

Thought I'd found it in earlier Browning guidance on which of their guns were or were not appropriate for use with steel. The current information does not specifically list the BSS (nor, for that matter, previous versions of the Citori that came with fixed chokes) as being guns through which steel should not be used (all the Belgian guns, for example). But the BSS and earlier Citoris are included in a general warning not to use steel in any Browning guns that aren't specifically mentioned as being approved for steel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Attempted to edit the above post. That didn't work, so adding more information here:

Back in 2010, I did a two part article for Pointing Dog Journal on the potential impact of a ban or additional restrictions on lead shot. One of the issues I addressed was how many shotguns--"modern" as well as vintage--would be impacted. I quoted the Browning guidance, which at that time focused on their Belgian-made guns. And, when it came to the danger posed by shooting steel, the warning was limited to a discussion of ring bulges.

I'm sure that if their guidance at that time had included Miroku-made guns as being inappropriate for steel, I would have included it--because it would have reinforced my point that a lead shot ban or additional restrictions wouldn't impact just vintage guns.

And their current warning also goes well beyond the ring bulge issue. They now talk about greater potential damage to the gun, and possible injury to the shooter. I don't know why that change was made. But my guess would be that perhaps just a single incident involving more serious damage to the gun and possibly the shooter has caused Browning's lawyers to err on the side of caution and add more guns to those in which they state steel should not be used.

Last edited by L. Brown; 10/25/19 08:40 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a new BSS 12 while they were still being manufactured and sold. I bought it in part because at the time they definitely advised that it was suitable for steel shot, at least with chokes not tighter than modified. I shot a lot of early steel loads thru it with no damage of any kind, including a fair numbeer of "T" shot shells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
But the BSS and earlier Citoris are included in a general warning not to use steel in any Browning guns that aren't specifically mentioned as being approved for steel.

For several years my primary waterfowl gun was an early Citori that started with fixed chokes, then retrofitted with Colonials. Only problem I ever had was shooting steel Ts on a snow goose hunt. Seized the choke tube but did no damage to the barrel. Got the tube out with some effort (and some damage to the tube), then ran a new tube in with nothing more than fresh grease.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen 2 BSS 12 gauge off face after a heavy diet of Steel shot. This does not address how the gun was treated for hinge lubrication, of course.
I think it is uncommon to see a BSS off face though.

DGM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a standard BSS and have shot a fair amount of steel in it. BUT, mine has fairly open Briley thinwall chokes made for steel shot in it, and I shoot 1 oz Kent upland steel loads. Some of the waterfowl steel loads available today are pretty hot and heavy beyond anything people used to shoot when these guns were made, such as Remington Hypersonic 1 1/4 oz at 1700 fps. So that needs to be taken into consideration as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
such as Remington Hypersonic 1 1/4 oz at 1700 fps.

A bunch of the guys I hunt with bought loads of Hypersonic when it was on sale a few years ago. We still have most of it because it hurts too much in anything but a gas semi.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an early Citori Lightning with 26 inch barrels, fixed chokes and English straight stock. Opened the top one so both would be modified. Put a mercury recoil reducer in the stock to weigh it down and glass bedded it. I figure I've owned it for 20 years and shot about 1000 rounds per year of 3 inch steel BB and #2 out of it. Absolutely no mechanical or wood issues. Like to buy another if I find it.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.