March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (fuhrmann, earlyriser), 694 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#559749 12/04/19 01:45 PM
battle Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The good the bad?

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have one and like it but it is a best quality Alex. Henry sidelock double rifle. What is not to like on one of those?

What patent are you looking at? The actions can be built very slim due to the lack of space required for cocking dogs and be made up quite nice.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

They are old.
Few repair experts, which you'll eventually need.
They show up at auctions worn to the point of sanity.
Many have had their barrels lapped to vapor.

All of which because they are old.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
They are old.
Few repair experts, which you'll eventually need.
They show up at auctions worn to the point of sanity.
Many have had their barrels lapped to vapor.

All of which because they are old.

When I see a gun worm as you describe I think of two things. That was a gun the owner truly loved to shoot and one which lasted a very long time under a steady stream of use. Consider if the gun was not one he liked, it would be a closet queen, with little or no wear. Same if it did not work well. I hate using any gun which I dont have total confidence in its function.

SKB #559760 12/04/19 03:49 PM
battle Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
I have one and like it but it is a best quality Alex. Henry sidelock double rifle. What is not to like on one of those?

What patent are you looking at? The actions can be built very slim due to the lack of space required for cocking dogs and be made up quite nice.

http://www.gavingardiner.com/BidCat/detail.asp?SaleRef=0038&LotRef=300

Sidelock
Sidelock

Myself, I want a pair of MacNaughton's for shooting red grouse.
They are hard to come by used in any reasonable shooting condition.
Auction after auction they rise from someone's cellar.
1 in 4 is ready to go shooting.

It's a balance when evaluating old, well used, well cared for, guns.

I just live by the tape. I might be interested in their story, but I don't want any more old guns with expensive problems.

There's a leap of faith necessary when you can't be there to evaluate them. Dig wisely cautioned me off several.

So, circling back to the pop's question,
They are old, and it might take a bit for your loader to get familiar with one.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two. One a Macnaughton skeleton and the other a Sumner built around a Scott back action Both are elegant guns to shoot and well balanced. Mechanically both are fine. I had the lever spring replaced in the Sumner and it was no problem for the smith. As for those who are shying away because they are old ... all my sxs are over a 100 years old. Id certainly buy another if I found one but these are the only 2 Ive seen in W Canada

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not A SXS but a lever cocker nevertheless is the Swedish Flodman.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You just have to push the lever a long way across .

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.