Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Specifically regarding failure analysis. There is an enormous industrial field of research and investigation in failure analysis. And professional journals devoted thereto: "Engineering Failure Analysis" and ASM International's "Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention" are 2.
The big money isn't in vintage damascus barrel failures or even a blown-up K80 (the results of the analysis will never be made public); it is in pipeline blow-outs and airplanes falling from the sky. The metallurgical engineer at METL told me they can now ID the welder, at the specific yard in Houston, who welded the pipe that blew out.

And there are billions of $s tied in to things like this, which BTW was fan blade fatigue failure
http://www.wsj.com/articles/southwest-incident-linked-to-cracked-engine-blade-1473716012

What I've been doing is extremely small time, entertaining and interesting to the folks at METL, and I believe has been of some value.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

and BTW: I'm perfectly capable of saying stupid stuff, but William is playing word games regarding "alloy"; which has both general and specific meaning.
The metallurgical definition of “alloy steel”:
Alloying elements, either residual or added, are present in percentages greater than the following:
Mn 1.0%,
Si 0.70%,
Mo 0.10%,
Cr 0.10%,
V 0.05%,
Ti 0.05%,
Ni 0.4%.

This is Dave Suponski's Parker Titanic steel which would be non-standard AISI 1030 medium carbon low alloy steel
Carbon .32%
Manganese .70%
Phosphorus .033%
Sulphur .077%
Nickel .078%
Chromium .031%
Molybdenum <.01%

“High alloy” steels have a sum total of > 5% (other sources 8%) of the alloying elements.

4140 (Cr 0.8-1.1% and Mo .15-.25%) is a “low alloy” steel but usually listed by manufacturers as “alloy steel”, as is 4340 and the other 4XXX and 5XXX steels.

Stainless steel is high-alloy steel, usually with 12% or greater chromium depending on the other alloys

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for proving my point Preacher. All steels are alloys.

Miller explained it to you and I explained it to you.

Your own post above confirms what Miller and I said. Unfortunately, you are still too ignorant to grasp it, and you are too consumed with hate and acid in your soul. It appears as if just about every post you are frantically making has the ulterior motive of attempting to discredit me.

Now why don't you show us just one steel sample that is not an alloy of iron and carbon and other elements? This is a challenge to allow you to show us that you are right and I am wrong. This should be easy for a copy-and-paste "expert" like you.

I will be waiting.... And waiting... And waiting....

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is silly William. There is no steel without carbon, phosphorus, sulfur or manganese (at least since Robert Mushet).
Do you see carbon on that list of elements that are used to define "alloy steel" (and there are of course others)?
The presence of carbon makes steel an "alloy"
The presence of OTHER elements, and the concentration thereof, defines "alloy steel"
And low alloy 4140 is routinely referred to as "alloy steel"
https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6769

The point was and is, as you well know, that the low concentrations of Ni and Cr in Parker Titanic steel would not make it chrome nickel alloy steel.
This isn't hard William. Please stop twisting and misrepresenting my clear-to-understand posts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,
Everything I ever welded in any nuclear facility,(going back more than 40 years), was stamped and recorded.

The leg that broke off the rig in the north sea at great loss of life, was traced back to the man under the hood whose welds failed.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Preacher, it is you who is twisting my words and misrepresenting facts. Miller explained the fact that carbon is alloyed into steel in his last post in your Winchester Shotgun Barrel thread.

It isn't our fault that you are too dumb to comprehend that, and too obsessed with discrediting me to ever admit it. The fact that carbon was not on your precious list of alloying elements simply makes your list incomplete.

Parker Titanic steel would most certainly be an alloy. But I want you now to show us exactly where I ever said that Parker Titanic steel would be chrome nickel alloy steel. I clearly said in my last post that the analysis of Dave Suponski's Parker Titanic steel showed that you were wrong in saying such steels are not alloy steels. They most certainly are.

Stop twisting. Stop tap dancing. Stick with what you know best... blasphemy.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

William knows perfectly well that impurities & inclusions in steel matter, and to argue otherwise is just silly.

Now Preacher, I would like you to show us exactly where I ever once made a statement that "impurities & inclusions in steel DO NOT matter"

What are you trying to pull here... aside from resorting to lies in yet another attempt to discredit me?

I know you don't really understand most of the copy-and-paste information you post about steel. I was very clear what I said and meant about the FACT that all steel has impurities and inclusions. The amount and the composition of those inclusions can and does matter. I brought up the almost certainty that it was an inclusion that ruptured the barrel that was the subject of this thread. I brought up that point before Dewey Vicknair... and I brought up that point while you were still tossing out ridiculous and highly unlikely scenarios.

So now, in addition to running away from the challenge to show us even one type of steel that is not an alloy...

...I am also challenging you to show us where I ever once said that inclusions and impurities in steel do not matter.

We shall see who is lying, and we shall see who is twisting words Preacher.

Well actually, I think we shall see you try to change the subject and discredit me in some other way... as you run away from your ignorance and your lies about me.

By the way, I did read your link on the testing of steel from the hull of the Titanic. Nowhere did the author say that the samples tested came from the area that broke and tore when it hit the iceberg. However, the author did say that the steel used was the best that was available at the time Titanic was built, and that the ocean was full of ships with the same type of steel, and they never sunk. The difference was that they did not hit an iceberg. Considering the time, it's pretty likely that steel that was very close in analysis ended up in shotgun barrels... and did not break or shatter when fired in below freezing temperatures.

One or a few tests done on over 40,000 tons of steel cannot be relied upon to tell us anything for certain... except about those particular samples. And that is another point that you still cannot grasp.

Test away... it is your money. Just don't act like you really understand what that testing is actually telling you. It is obvious that you don't.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.