April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (fab500, WBLDon, Karl Graebner, eeb, 2 invisible), 795 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Buzz #629814 05/07/23 07:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Buzz
Originally Posted by Jusanothajoe
I'm a helice shooter fighting a flinch, currently trying double release triggers, the first trigger is coming around ok, second trigger not so much.
I have now shot 8 thirty bird rounds of helice and have only had 2 second barrel kills.
Wish I had tried release/pull first.
Having my stock fitted made my flinching worse and I always float the bird, so I never lose sight of the bird.

Flinching is awful and makes shooting not as enjoyable, I haven't flinched a single time with release triggers, but my scores are worse because I can't seem to master that second shot.
You may not have time to set the second trigger for Helice. I shot flyers a few months ago trying a double release and I found just that, not enough time to set the trigger for the 2nd shot, so I put a pull/pull trigger back in my P-gun. However, next time I go to a flyer shoot I’m going to try release/pull which is clearly the fastest of all the triggers. Back in the old days I shot R/P. I’ve never shot helice but I’d like to try it (after rotator cuff recuperation). Good luck.
I have time, but I'm snatching the trigger when setting the second shot and pulling off the target, if I try to be easier when setting, I trap the trigger on a few.
I sent my other gun off to install release pull, will try it and see. I have a flyer shoot June 1st and need to get something straightened out.

Last edited by Jusanothajoe; 05/07/23 07:35 PM.

My wife lets me buy all the guns I can hide.
Drew Hause #629815 05/07/23 08:07 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I tried a release trigger. Or a release, release and then a release pull version. On singles release worked well for me but when I went to shooting doubles at trap or skeet it was not very good. Release, release forces me to shoot the first bird very quickly which I already did but I still ran late on the second bird with the pull, release, pull release again. Too many steps for me but it works well for several people I know. One who goes back and forth to regular trigger and then release with little problems. He says it’s like driving a stick then automatic and back again.

Being a two eye shooter if I let the bird get under the barrel I will try to shift to my left eye. That’s a flinch for me every time but I’ve done it so often I usually withhold fire and can ride the bird out and recover. Never had a problem shooting left handed with both eyes open. Flinch went away but my average was almost two birds less per hundred in Skeet. Trap was about the same. Good luck working through things until you find what works for you.

Drew Hause #629849 05/08/23 01:43 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Not much else to do here in the desert. It is almost impossible to shoot at Ben Avery, still can't swim at the neighborhood fitness club, and "church" is still on-line frown SO, might as well discuss flinching. Words (should) have meaning, and the more precise we are with our words, the better we communicate; our thoughts, our problem, our needs, and corrective measures we might try....

BTW: I've come to understand that my trigger freeze and flinch trying to click my mouse (which BTW doesn't bite) is a visual flinch; if I'm not precise in placing the cursor arrow exactly where it needs to be, I flinch.

Preacher, did you seriously say that???

I never understood your apparent obsession with flinching and the yips. But now I do.

This explains a lot of things I suspected. I'll try to be precise with my words here...Good thing you aren't a surgeon!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Drew Hause #629871 05/09/23 08:32 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wouldn't expect you to understand flinching if you have never experienced the frustration of inexplicable trigger freeze and lunging at the trap house.
Computer mouse dystonia is very common today, and the "yips" have destroyed the careers of lots of professional athletes and musicians.

Rather than your toxic trolling, possibly you could be helpful William. Do you have a flinch? Visual or out-ot-the-blue? What have you tried to mitigate your flinch? What worked for you?

BTW: Thank you for your concern, but I'm happy to say that sewing up Boy Scouts when volunteering in the Health Lodges at Bartle Scout Reservation in MO & Camp Geronimo here in AZ was never a problem. The woke activists successfully destroyed Scouting from within and I left.

Drew Hause #629888 05/09/23 04:28 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

No Preacher, I have never experienced any flinch or "yips" problems, as you have. My Dad taught me the importance of self-control and control of psychological and physiological responses pertaining to accurate shooting beginning before I ever first pulled a trigger on a .22 rifle. He was into shooting accurately, and knew all about the importance of controlling breathing, managing heart or pulse rate, and staving off things like 'Buck Fever'' that cause inaccuracy. I think he would have made a great sniper.

He was also an excellent shot with a shotgun, and there he emphasized the different shooting style versus a rifle. With the shotgun, it was more about quick reaction times in response to flushing game, or different presentations while skeet shooting. When I was about 13 years old, we stepped to the edge of a large rock overlooking a hollow and a grouse flushed loudly, only a couple yards below us. I hesitated, and it quickly got out of range. He calmly told me, "We're not bird-watching today. You gotta shoot quick if you want to eat grouse." One only has a fraction of a second or so to identify the target, ascertain that it is safe to shoot, mount the gun, establish lead as required, and fire before the target is obscured by brush, leaves, or is simply out of range. The controlled trigger squeeze of rifle or handgun was replaced by the quick slap that Stan spoke of here a couple days ago. Unfortunately, I have to say from personal experience that shooting fast and shooting well can create the negative effect of having your hunting buddies call you nasty names like "Game Hog". I can deal with that.

I've always told myself that a hard kicking gun isn't going to recoil any less if I allow that to make me miss. That seems to work OK for me. I could equal my Dad with a rifle, and do better with a handgun, especially at rapid fire combat shooting. But I have to admit he was better than me with a shotgun. He was a natural who could run a straight after months with no practice. I usually need a little tune-up to get back in form, and still miss a few that he would turn to dust with his Polychoked 870 pump.

Your admission of flinching while using a computer mouse had me laughing hysterically. I mean, my gosh... we aren't talking about a soldier with PTSD who flinches because his next step might detonate an I.E.D. or land mine, or he saw a buddy wounded or killed. I don't think my comment was toxic trolling at all.

I work with computers constantly as part of my job, and cannot say either I or any of my co-workers ever had the "Yips" or a flinch while clicking a mouse. I'm laughing again just thinking about it! That could even be dangerous or catastrophic if I toggled a bit or forced something in PLC Logic at the wrong moment due to an errant mouse click. I could cause unexpected machine movement that could injure or kill someone or cause millions in damage. At the other extreme, I also work with sensitive electronics that could be destroyed if my hand isn't steady, and a shaky hand or flinch could cause me to put a tool in a place where very high voltages could literally vaporize a screwdriver causing severe burns, or electrocute me. It's a bit different than putting a couple stitches in a Boy Scout who cut himself with his Scout knife.

True story though... several weeks ago, I was doing my end of shift reports, Emails, etc. and the cursor on the screen inexplicably kept jumping just as I would click my mouse. For a moment, I blamed it on the new PC's that the IT Dept. provided a short time ago. They had given us a lot of problems and we all lost important files and documents we had saved. Then I noticed a small black object in the USB port. It stuck out perhaps 4 m/m and was as wide as the USB slot. I removed it and turned to the young guy sitting behind me and asked him if he thought I should smash it with a hammer? He said, "I wish you wouldn't.", and then produced the wireless mouse that he was using to prank me. He admitted that he had colored the tiny USB stick with a black Sharpie marker so I wouldn't notice it, and was surprised I caught on so quickly. It was all in good fun, and it didn't leave me with a scary Mouse Flinch, "Yips", or night sweats.

Next time you use a mouse Preacher, relax, take some deep breaths, and maybe try some Yoga beforehand. Slowly repeat the mantra, "Get a grip... get a grip... get a grip...

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Drew Hause #629901 05/09/23 09:02 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I experienced more borderline flinching with 338 and 375 H&H, 416 R rifles.
In New Mexico, I obtained a rifle that I thought would cure everything, including
a slight anticipation of recoil: An 1874 Sharps chambered in .50 cal (50 3 1/4).
A 725 gr cast bullet.
Went back to 45-70 Sharps and 3 in shotguns for shoulder relief. (No flinching with shotguns.)

Drew Hause #629920 05/10/23 01:13 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for explaining that you know nothing about the dystonic reaction we call a "flinch" William.
Enjoying another forum member's shooting disability reflects very poorly on your character...but we already know that.

The next time you are tempted to troll, about something of which you have no knowledge, take a deep breath...and don't.

Drew Hause #629927 05/10/23 03:45 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Thank you for explaining that you know nothing about the dystonic reaction we call a "flinch" William.
Enjoying another forum member's shooting disability reflects very poorly on your character...but we already know that.

The next time you are tempted to troll, about something of which you have no knowledge, take a deep breath...and don't.

I did not say that I enjoyed another members shooting disability, and I did not explain that I know nothing about "flinch". Why are you bearing false witness against thy neighbor Preacher? Isn't that one of the Ten Commandments? I think posting falsehoods reflects on your character, but it is nothing new to me. I specifically said that I got great laughs at the thought of your Computer Mouse flinch. Typing that just made me laugh again!

I know a great deal about flinch, the "yips", and even PTSD Preacher. I even took the time to explain how I was taught to avoid tigger flinch, and it works for me. It involves some discipline and self-control, instead of reacting to Bogeymen that aren't really there. Instead of learning from my experience, you chose to once again denigrate and insult me, and lied in the process. This is another example of why I facetiously refer to you as "Preacher".

Being schooled and intensely interested in accurate shooting, I have studied the causes of noise and recoil induced trigger flinch, and how to prevent them. I've known since high school days that the top Benchrest shooters often use a "sissy-bag" between their shoulder and buttplate to mitigate the mild recoil of small caliber heavy Bench Rest class guns, because of the cumulative effect of even mild recoil on the nervous system. We had NRA Certified Instructors in my High School Indoor Rifle Range coaching and teaching us how to shoot accurately, even in the more difficult kneeling and offhand positions. I recently related the story of how I won a bet with a friend who made the silly claim that a .22 rimfire has no recoil. I challenged him to shoot a very light Stevens Little Scout boys rifle by placing the thin steel buttplate about 1/8" from his chin, assuring him he would indeed feel the recoil. It more than got his attention, and I won the bet. I understand how induced flinch may happen with repetitive shotgun shooting, such as high volume dove shooting. I've been fortunate in that I have fired some powerful guns that beat me up and bruised my shoulder, either by sheer foot pounds of recoil energy or poor stock design, yet never developed a flinch. I have fired magnum handguns that recoiled so hard that I was left with a bruised hand and was bleeding from under my fingernails. Shooting two-handed would have made it more manageable, but I did it one-handed for fun. It was painful at the time, but did no permanent damage to me physically and did not induce subsequent flinch. That's because the root cause is more mental than physical, barring any serious underlying problems like severe shoulder injury. But my knowledge of the subject of flinch is never going to help someone like you. I also will not try to impress anyone here by using the same medical or scientific terms you use, even though I know and understand them. And even if I could help you, why would I, when you have personally and dishonestly attacked me for years (as you did here), and then hypocritically pretend that you are above the fray?

Computer Mouse flinch is a whole 'nother matter, and I have never even seen a man (or a woman) who suffers from that. OK, what the hell... here's a scientific term for you...Lepidopterophobia is the fear of butterflies. Do butterflies make you flinch too???.... ROTFLMAO

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.