March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Ian Forrester, dukxdog, Don Zahringer, canvasback, 3 invisible), 804 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#580351 09/21/20 03:15 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We are in Nebraska, chasin' chickens in the SE corner of the state. Met up with KGB, who I hadn't seen in ten years or so. Kirk had some kind of a rifle shoot yesterday, so Mocha and I went out alone. Staying with Steve Voss, and since I am legendary at losing things, especially myself, he hand drew a map of a walk-in hunt area we had success at years ago, and of which we had some great video of Scapa on point and Steve dumping one of the two birds that got up.

The map was simple and easy to follow, and after I loaded the gun and collared the dog, we set out. HMMMM- beans (as in soy) planted everywhere. No posted signs of any kind, especially the walk in ones. I let Mocha run around a bit, and then we headed back. Turns out the map was off by a mile (literally).

Today, with map corrected, we met Kirk at a rendezvous point and in half and hour we were boots on the ground. Lots of water under the bridge since then, but by chance e both had on our Flatwater 2013 hats.

Back to the truck for water and a tummy rub:

We then moved to an area of private land that Kirk had permission to hunt, Mocha pointing a meadowlark and a small finch:

He locked up on some shorter cover, nose stuffed into a 10 - 15 mph headwind. Everyone, including Gin, Kirk's setter, thought he was on another tweety bird. So I was convinced the only shot I would have was with the camera, taking pics while walking to him with the gun held under my armpit. I got within a few feet of him coming in for a close-up, when out from under his nose exploded a big ole chicken. The bird was dumping ballast as it rocketed away nap of the earth, right in line with the dog so Kirk had no shot. I nearly dumped some ballast myself when it launched, but instead I gently dumped the phone in the grass, swung on the bird only to hear "click." Sometimes the Ideal will not go into battery with a reload, but I have never had it do that with a factory load. Would have been great to bring it to bag, but he still got lots of praise for pointing his first chicken, and I had another humbling story to tell.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great photos. Good to see you are having fun in Nebraska again. Tell Voss, Hinker and Marolf I said hello.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, you aren't the first nor will you be the last hunter who paid the price for not believing a dog on point. He sure is pretty. Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is Dr. Kirk, "field on demand" DVM, deskunking a dog who didn't seem to mind pointing and pinning a skunk

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back atcha, Tom!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.