Hal:

Like you, I'm at a stage of life where I'm trying to significantly reduce the contents of my safes because of lack of interest of my children. I've used Gunbroker on quite a number of occasions (more than 30), always for guns valued under $2,000. I've seen more valuable guns listed, but don't know how well they sell.

Because these were all relatively low value guns, I always listed them with a starting bid of $0.01 and without a reserve. I've been disappointed in the price I realized only once and then only about $75.00 or so. I was positively surprised on a number of occasions; a couple of times by 20% or more.

Take lots of good photos, describe the gun fully and make sure you include any warts in the photos. I do that and I've never had a buyer complain.

I've also listed some in the Free Classifieds section on the 24hourcampfire.com web site. Some have sold, some not. They were priced in the same range of prices realized for similar guns sold on Gunbroker. The site is probably going to be more successful for items under $1,000 than over and tends more toward modern firearms, particularly semi-automatics of any type, than sxs or o/u shotguns.

Hope this helps.

Rem