March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone bought this book? What do you think of it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian, I meant to reply to you earlier this week. I have read the book. I wrote this up for the Vintage Gunners newsletter a while back:

The Traditional Side by Side: King of the Upland Bird Guns by Doug Stewart is a recent (2018) addition to the literary canon of our favorite type of shotgun.

In heartfelt, unpretentious prose, author Doug Stewart tell us why he believes the side-by-side shotgun is the best gun for upland hunting. A fine example of Stewart’s style is this quotation: “A traditional side by side has a soul of its own. The soul was given to the gun by a craftsman who produced this piece of art part by part.”

Stewart is a health and fitness trainer from Colorado, and is an avid bird hunter. His focus is the on use of side-by-side guns in upland settings, so most of the information presented in the book is written from that perspective.
As he discusses in the book, Stewart loves to test his beliefs about shotguns and shooting and apply what he learns. Stewart tells us, “Through these many years I have become really big on trial and error…I shoot, test, and study everything to do with shotguns and shooting…” He provides evidence of this work in the chapters on ammunition and gun barrels.

Stewart covers a lot ground in less than 200 pages. He divides the book into big sections with sub-sections that generally equate to chapters. There are chapters on common gauges used for upland hunting, chapters on the basic parts of a gun, and chapters on shooting technique and ammunition. There is also a directory of some of Stewart’s favorite gunsmiths and gun dealers at the end of the book.

The author is not afraid to offer his opinions. He shoots and owns guns of various makes, American, British and others, but his favorites are Parkers, and he tells you why. Stewart believes in using the best ammunition, saying, “Feed your special double the best nutrition you can.” I cannot say I agree with everything Stewart writes, but at least he is willing to share what his testing and experiences have taught him and lead him to believe. I take that as a sign of honesty and integrity.

I enjoyed the book; Stewart’s enthusiasm is infectious, but for anyone who has studied side-by-side guns for many years, there will not be much new information. However, I would recommend The Traditional Side by Side to anyone starting on their double gun journey. I think it helps answer the question of why many people are passionate about these old guns. It has been a while since we have received such full-throated endorsement of the classic side-by-side, and it is refreshing to hear it in a new voice. If your double gun faith is in need of a revival, give this a read, and give a copy to anyone who is starting to show interest in side-by-side guns.

Stewart mentions a couple of times that he is working on a second book, so hopefully we will hear more from him in the future. (Part II is now available -- I do not have it yet)

----MattH
President, Ga. Vintagers

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.