July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (375whelenIMP), 178 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,727
Posts548,328
Members14,442
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Curious about this fine 8 bore Reilly for sale at holts. It's obviously a wildfowler - 13 lbs plus, 36" reproofed blued Damascus barrels. The ad says the action has been "brushed" but there are previous Reilly wildfowler's that were nickel plated. That would seem to make sense for a gun used over salt water. 33457 would date to mid-1892.

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...queryID=814612c7daff5d966facf1d4974dacd9
AN 8-BORE DOUBLE-BARRELLED ROTARY-UNDERLEVER HAMMERGUN SIGNED E.M. REILLY & CO., serial no. 33457,
circa 1880, serial number on barrel only, 35 3/4in. nitro reproved blued damascus barrels, the rib engraved 'E.M. REILLY & CO. 227 OXFORD STREET. LONDON.', Jones patent rotary underlever, treble-grip action with carved percussion fences, rebounding back-action locks, border and fine scroll engraving, brushed and blued finish overall, 15 1/2in. figured pistolgrip stock with horn pistolgrip-cap and including 3/4in. rubber recoil pad, fore-end grip-catch release lever, weight 13lb. 2oz.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Argo44; 05/22/24 03:58 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Sold as an exempt item under Section 58 (2) of the 1968 Firearms Act, to be held as a curiosity or ornament"

"I say, Cholmondley, old boy: What on Earth is this unspeakably large old snaphaunce for?"

"It's my punt's main ornament, dear Featherstonehaugh."

"My word. Thing looks like it should be crew-served."

"'Tis, in fact. Keira Knightley loads for me on her free weekends."

"I seeee... You absolute rakehell! How do you manage your lifestyle?"

"Well, she's rather fond of roast swan..."

1 member likes this: Argo44
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nickle has a slightly yellow or soft golden color to my eye. "Brushed" and "coin finishes" are two common descriptive terms for when a gun has had all the remaining case color polished off to restore an even finish. Pits may still be present but even they are slightly less obvious. This gun certainly started out with case colors which are now all gone due to wear of a gunsmiths attention. Re"coloring" guns never was much of a thing over in GB as much as it was in the US up until a few years ago. Nickle was an option when this gun was made but I suspect it cost a few percent more. The buyer could always add it later if needed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is brushed, as stated, not nickeled, IMHO. And if I might add, it was "brushed" most carefully.

I really don't care for either method. Just making an observation.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is what I was referencing: Reilly 4 bore SN 18860, dated to 1874. Guess if you're going to nickel plate something, engraving is kind of an afterthought. And Jon and Stanton are right about the color.
http://jamesdjulia.com/item/1363-396/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've added this comment before but son kayaking alone for three weeks in the Aleutian Islands carrying the Nickel plated Remington Marine Magnum 870 dropped the gun off at the house. I disassembled it. The only rust on it was on the sling swivels (unplated - since remedied) and a cotter pin on the bolt (also unplated). It works in that highly corrosive environment with minimal maintenance.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/22/24 11:12 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
Nickle has a slightly yellow or soft golden color to my eye.

Concur with the notably warm tone of nickel. I used to shoot pistol alongside a fellow who had a professionally nickel-plated old school pin gun. Compared to my matte chrome-plated 1911, I always thought his looked slightly pink. And a depression-era factory-nickeled 1911 I've handled still stands in my memory as being somewhat warm-colored. Might have something to do with the copper base layer that was part of the plating process.

Of course, it's hard to tell from photographs, especially in this day and age.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Apparently the only thing nickel plating is good for in my neck of the woods is a fully nickel plated double barrel in the hands of a lawman interrupting proceedings in a juke joint. I was told by a deputy that nothing calms confusion in a juke as fast as a nickel plated double barr'l.
Something about the neon light reflecting off it, i suppose. IDK, just passing on what I've been told.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How long were the barrels Stanton? 18". . 20"? doubt they were 36". But the deputy ought to look at that 8 bore. Saw 20" off of the barrels and that is basically a claymore.

Georgia. . .Alabama and Florida are so much more civilized! smile

Last edited by Argo44; 05/23/24 09:46 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Short enough to be handy, I would think. He thought the nickel gave it more "presence" and had more of a "quietening" effect. He said if needed it would bring peace out of confusion.

I shot one in college that was cut down to about 12" and the butt had been cut off leaving only a pistol grip. That thing was dainjuss on both ends. The guy who had it carried in in a homemade leather scabbard he had fashioned and screwed to the inside of the driver door of his '69 Barracuda. He was pretty roughshod for college, even down he'ah. Had kind of a Mad Max persona.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.