I believe it the old days it was more of pellet count on paper than 20 or 30 points of choke.Fourty was concidered full once we started thinking more in thousands than pellet count.Now many think of 30 points as full which was the old I/M. Barrel stamping gives some idea to the average hunter and they probably hold the stamping as true but we know the pellet size and speed and hardness and many other factors realy tell what choke you are getting from your gun no matter what its stamped.I remember many choke makers twenty years ago made chokes and said something like these fit Winchesters. Now if the man buying the choke didn't know his older tubed 101 field had a 6thou. different bore than his 101 Sporter and figured it was a good deal that one set fit both guns he might just be suprized at different results from the same tube in his two guns.I remember Rhino was one of the first to ask the buying what gun he was shooting in a brand as they knew bore diameter was different and it mattered and for sure with the then choke changeing every station sporting shooters.
Basicly pelltet count is the only way to realy know what your gun is shooting with a given load at a given place at a given time of year.If you evr got to shoot the fifty at fity shoot at Delta Junction your gun did not pattern the same on that day as it did in the summer with the same targets. No it wasn't fifty birds on your fifteth birthday it was fifty at fifty below and I ain't talking sea level. The shoot never realy took off,go figure.