As long as we give as good as we expect, I see no problem with some sellers granting maximum elbow room for return and others less so long as in each specific instance there is a mutual understanding which is respected by both parties to the sale. From a rough tally of the posts here, I would not say that I know how "most people" interpret inspection and right of return. I have always stuck to the "not as described" permission but have been lenient in other areas. I recently had a successful bidder ask me by email if I could hold the gun for 14 days before shipping due to his inability to take delivery while on vacation. A lot can happen in 14 days while I'm in possession of both gun and money, so I responded by asking if his receiver would mind holding the gun. Answer was affirmative and I shipped. Emailed to tell me the date he personally took delivery and again to tell me he was happy and would post feedback on GB. He could have fibbed and got a few extra days and more opportunity to prospect for defects and I don't really care. On a recent purchase, I stated to a licensed dealer that I would not be able to take delivery for two days after ETA at my receiver and no objection was made to me calling back and starting the clock on my own recognizance. Altho I'm sure many receivers are trusted as proxy inspectors of the purchase, this is not universally the case. I doubt if the system would function for many of us if the requirements of jobs and travel were not considered. We all have slightly different personal policies and safeguards against the loggerhead of sharp dealing. The system stands or falls on the honesty, good will, patience (and to a degree) flexibility of all who participate--buyers and sellers. And perhaps most important of all--explicit statement of the expectations and policies acceptable to both parties BEFORE the sale. If you aren't met half-way before the sale, chances are you won't be after.

jack

Last edited by rabbit; 08/17/08 12:46 AM.