Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I consider a "Contract" to buy just that. Unless specifically spelled out otherwise I consider an "Inspection" period just that, a time to make sure it arrived as advertised.

Standing in a gunshop, yes. The buyer looks over the gun, says "Yeah, I like this one, I'll take it", pays the shop and takes it home. Offer, acceptance plus consideration equals contract. It's the same over the internet, except the contract has to be completed a little differently...because the buyer hasn't seen the gun yet. There is no contract until the buyer accepts - "Yeah, I like this one, I'll take it" - and unless he has infallible ESP, it's perfectly impossible for him to do that until he has the gun in his hands. He ALREADY KNOWS that the gun will arrive in "as advertised" condition - that's assumed. The buyer has a right to so assume because it's the seller's representation. If the seller is a liar, that's a different issue that automatically prevents acceptance of the offer and completion of the contract, but that certainly isn't the primary reason for the requirement of an inspection period.

Quote:
"IF" it arrived as described (This one "Did") I would not expect him to take it back, because I changed my mind.

The inspection period is there so that the buyer CAN make up his mind. The facile suggestion that the purpose is only to determine if the seller lied or not is utterly baseless, and certainly does not represent the market standard. An internet seller with an "if it arrives as described, it's yoah's, bubba" policy is looking for a "gotcha", and should be meticulously avoided.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."