Here's a hypothetical. I list a "vintage" gun with a sizable amount of drop to the comb (say 3" at heel). Should I anticipate that many in the potential pool of buyers are only vaguely aware of "contemporary" models/brands which have provided them with an off the rack "fit" and without a clue as to the dimensional bill of particulars which describes their ideal fit? If I get a bidder query from someone who describes himself as a "first-time buyer" with a "hankerin to buy hisself an old doublegun" and has a hundred questions concerning the precedural details of buying and shipping but thinks the gun is exactly what he "wants", should I attempt to gently educate and risk loosing his bid. I think so as it sure ain't going to "feel right" (what he's accustomed to) when he receives it.

How far does my obligation to educate extend? Can I ever assume that those who talk the talk like polished cognoscenti actually may be big enuf men to gamble on their own judgment and expertise without resort to the "woman's prerogative". I hope so because I can't help but think that a market with unqualified right of return would die on the vine.

Could I sell small engines with an ad that says the one you get will have something around 3 to 8HP and some sort of starter and one of ten bolt patterns for mounting and there's really no point to specifications as you have a right to return for any reason or none so you're bound to get the right one eventually and I just love to ship things and see them come back like carrier pigeons? Description of condition and specification is an abstract of the gun itself. May be accurate or may not and "right of return if not as described" covers that possibility. If you must buy on approval, I suggest that postage stamps and coins may offer a better outlet for your time and money.

jack