Another one on the 'to-do' bench. A single shot 50cal breech loader. Marked 'J Nowotny-Prag' on the top of the octagon swamped barrel. Underlever action with DST. The bore is absolutely pristine. I haven't done a chamber cast to check out the cartridge possibility but it appears to be something of a straight cased number. When I spotted this at a show, several others were checking it out at the same time. What really held my interest was that the original hammer was still with the rifle. Securely attached to the trigger guard with a bread bag twist tie so as not to loose that precious item. I cringed at every opening and closing of the action in the hands of the curious few as the fireing pin was still in the action and was free to fall forward. Upon closing the action the barrel came down with a 'thunk' on the top of the pin. Enough of that and I bought the thing. The wooden patch box was stuck shut though the release button, the flower center on the face worked OK. I figured the MinWax all-in-one stain & poly finish applied to the stock had done a seal up job on the little door but I wasn't worried :(. The front swivel was missing from the barrel and the original pistol grip rail was replaced with a finely dremel carved replacement in white pine finished in Krylon Hi-Sheen black. No doubt the restorer figured it would pass as ebony to even the most keen eyed expert. Once in my hands and able to really look it over, I began to like it even more. The 50cal bore, DST and known maker, etc. I got the patch/accesory box open by mearly loosening the top butt plate screw a bit to unbind some preassure on the end of the sliding door. Inside was the front barrel sling swivel! Looks as if it came undone partially and bent downward. Then either pulled off of came off the rest of the way. Something else I don't have to make. The hammer is undamaged in any way. The lock tumbler spindle had broken off flush with the lock plate at some time. SOme one had stub welded a repair piece on to it to reattach the hammer but it didn't hold and went no further,,thank goodness. A new spindle is an easy repair. The tang site base on the top of the wrist is probably a later addition, that will most likely go. Pretty neat old rifle to restore and not alot of heavy work to be done. I recall an article in DGJ a ways back on some Nowotny guns and a SS rifle was mentioned at the end. Maybe I can get an idea of the grip carving somewhere. Just a few other things to get out of the way first. Here's some quick pics before the light fades. The hammer, mainspring I removed from the lock and the fireing pin are next to the rifle. A couple of the pics I just balanced the hammer into position so you could get an idea of what it looks like complete.