In the 18th century with flintlock rifles and fowling pieces primarily from Pennsylvania, it wasn't uncommon to have a stock made from a flat sawn blank cut out of the lower butt and stump. It was the practice to dig down to just below the root collar a foot or so below ground line and cut the tree down from this point. This added more strength in the wrist or that area between the breech and the stock comb. This was especially common with American Black Cherry, the most common stock wood used in New England, and also the weakest of the stock woods used.

Even today master builders of flintlocks building "high-end" pieces will use a stump cut flat sawn blank to get that flow of grain down through the wrist. It is awesomely pleasing to look at, and it adds significant strength! But with modern shotguns I don't think the added strength would be all that important, and the pleasing affect of the grain turning down through the wrist wouldn't be that noticable. But this is just my opinion, and I may be wrong. If anyone is interested in picking up a stock blank from a butt-stump cut tree, I can put you in contact with a couple of friends who specialize in producing these blanks.