Originally Posted By: The Double D
Greenwoods book took some criticism for its limited inclusions of Martini and Snider rook rifles. He used the excuse that he didn't include the military rifles. Huh, rook size rifles are military?

Well gentlemen, my copy of Greenwoods book arrived today. A quick perusal showed that no Martini action rifles were mentioned and only one Snider action Rook & Rabbit Rifle was shown and that is a beautifully slim action in .380" short centrefire calibre. Reference is of course made to the military .577" Snider, but the Rook Rifle, although built to the Snider Action design, is not a converted military action, but is custom built, tastefully engraved, with a very elegant lightweight hammer, and beautifully stocked. There are no barrel bands or military sights, it is a rifle I would be very proud to own.

To our American and South African friends who perhaps have not had the opportunity to see, handle or shoot any of these rifles I would certainly recommend this book, it is by no means expensive at UK £19.95, and it is well worth owning.

The Ammunition is also of interest as some calibres are almost unknown outside the U/K. There is a whole chapter devoted to cartridges and reloading. How many of you know for example, of a .22" Long Rifle CENTREFIRE cartridge?

There is a fascinating range of different single shot actions most of which are not covered by De Haas or other authors of books on single shot actioned rifles.

I have been fortunate to have been able to participate in many Rook and Rabbit Shoots here in England over some 40 years, but I was restricted to carrying a .22RF Martini actioned rifle, the genuine original R&R rifles were already beyond my pay grade. Most of this type of shooting is usually done at ranges between 25 and 125 yards, the shooting is done offhand with leaf type express rifle sights, and no 'scopes'.

Rooks and Rabbits are both looked upon as vermin here in the U/K, but they're edible vermin, and Rabbits were often the staple meat diet of many a farm worker until perhaps three or four decades ago. (Jack Rabbits are called Hares here in Britain and they are classed as game animals and therefore can only be shot in season).

Rooks are a species of Crow and the shooting of these for the 'pot' is restricted to perhaps one month each year. The birds shot are what we call 'Branchers' i.e. birds out of the nest but yet unable to fly, these very young birds are edible and indeed were often a common sight in 'Game Dealers' shops for sale, when in season, and they can still occasionally be found for sale, even today. The adult Rook is inedible. (believe me I know, I've tried eating them). To those who think shooting young Rooks on branches as unsporting, they are usually on thin twigs at least 100 feet up, on branches that are being moved around with great rapidity in the March/April gales. To avoid damage to the best meat (the breast) headshots are the norm. Try shooting at a dime at 100 feet when it is under continual movement, you'll soon see how dificult it can be.

About thirty years ago I was rummaging through an old box of bits and pieces in a shop that once belonged to a gunsmith. In this box I found a single shot Rook and Rabbit Rifle of .22 RF cal. The action and barrel were of an unusual design. At that time it was of no interest to me. There was no stock or forearm, the bore was pitted, but in retrospect, it could be rebored and lined. The maker was Pape of Newcastle upon Tyne, better known perhaps for his Shotguns. I think I may just revisit this shop, on the offchance that this action is still there. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 01/05/09 06:08 PM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.