Originally Posted By: Harry Eales
Hello DD,
Thanks for the tip, I did try abebooks myself as I buy a lot of books through them but my search turned none of Winfers books up, however,
I already have vol. 1 in transit from the USA. Vols 2,3 and 4 were delivered yesterday from Kynamco here in the UK, who will be sending me Vol. 5 at the end on this month. Vol. 6 (Webley Rifles) is being proof read at present and Wal Winfer is currently writing a book on Rook and Rabbit Rifles.

It's marvelous what you can afford to buy when you give up smoking. lol.

Harry

Harry, it's all in the search technique some times. If you put in an authors full name and book title you often won't get all the hits. If you put in part of the Authors name and keyword you will often get more hits. It's all in how the bookseller enters the book in the database.

I'll be watching for Webleys. I have read each of the others cover to cover. While some of the dicussion about fuction and operation of some rifle action that I have never seen and never will see is a bit dry, the history of the industry during the time is fasinating.

Two gunmakers I would like to see him write on, Braendlin and Francotte.

Francotte is generally considered a Belgium gunmaker, but as Winfer mentions in his books Francotte was a major supplier and influence in the Brirish gun market in the Victorian era, even having a shop in London. The Francotte detachable action is Francotte's hallmark and has been used by all the big names. While in SA I shot a Jeffery's 577 Snider of the Francotte pattern, very beautiful inaccurate rifle.

I don't know of any single shot designs by Breandlin but I can only wonder how many famous maker designs were final production by Breandlin.