Quote:
In terms of game and such, I plan to use the drilling for my "backyard" hunts in Hawaii when I get back there (now working in Singapore).

Aloha to a fellow Hawaii hunter!

I've been in the same boat, and I've wanted a drilling for quite some time, but moving back to Hawaii has dampened my desire.

The reason is that according to the bird hunting regulations on page 12 of the bird regs, "No person shall possess any rifle, combination-rifle firearm [...] where game mammal hunting is closed. Only the weapons that are authorized for the particular hunt are to be in the hunter's possession while in the hunting area." http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dofaw/hunting/BirdHuntingRegs_Chap122-02.pdf

Now this depends on areas, but for example when hunting on Mauna Kea on the Big Island when there are "bird days" Sat-Sun-State Holidays (and Wed-Thurs some years) mammel hunting is closed. While my experience is limited on the other islands, generally when bird season is open in an area, mammel season is not. So you can't use a rifle when bird hunting there. I talked to a few DNLR guys and this seems to be their reading of laws too, the general rule in Hawaii being you are only supposed to "carry one hunting weapon" at a time, a combination gun or a drilling would count as two weapons.

I could be wrong here, and I want to be wrong here, because I want to have too.

Last edited by Chasseur d'ours; 12/07/06 03:06 PM.