C. Kofoed:

I have it on my list along with a 2008 publication like "Blood & Steel" on the topic of artificial teeth, but for now neither have floated to the top.

The gun tube steel composition, as mentioned by PeteM, seems to have been ever changing and I'm sure a tube of Krupp Laufstahl in the 1890s differed from a similar tube circa WWI. Nirosta(I'm bad to let the "t" float and spell it Nitrosa) for example had several variations and from 1909 to 1912 Krupp was busy in the R&D of stainless steels, Class III today, and Nirosta was the result. By the end of WWII there were several Nirosta types such as:
Nirosta 18-8
Nirosta 19-9-4
Nirosta V-2A
Nirosta V-2A Extra .

Nirosta steel was by the Nirosta Corporation/Krupp Nirosta, under the Krupp umbrella was licensed throughout the world and had about 8% nickel and 18% chromium. It was the component chromium which gave the steel its ability to resist corrosion.

I haven't seen a tube stamped so, but "Enduro" was a low chrome-nickel rustless steel(chrom. 13.5%, Nickel 2% max) Krupp Nirosta Company/The Nirosta Corporation. With the last few years and definitely in the past 20, Thyssen(August)-Krupp(Friedrich) developed a new Nirosta as number 4003 and there may be a more recent release.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 06/07/09 09:49 AM.