ClapperZapper-
You have a good memory. I have experienced three SxS forearm lug failures while shooting clays. The first was with an SKB M-485. The importer gave me a loaner for the 8 months it took to repair. The second was a high grade Huglu. The importer repaired this in two weeks--but the repairs appeared to be done with a brazing rod and were amateurishly done. The third lug failure was with a CSMC M-21. It was repaired and returned in less than 10 days and there was no evidence of repairs.

It appears this happens! The new RBL has a tail on the lug which bears against the receiver--so failure is almost impossible. The CSMC M-21 is true to the original M-21 design rather than an improved version so it could fail. A design change for the lug is out of the question for CSMC M-21s. Should the weld fail--it is covered under warranty--and quickly at no charge! I cannot complain about my service or treatment. C.S.M.C. has stood behind their product without hesitation.

Some opine the larger forearm causes the problem, but two of the guns I saw fail had beavertail forearms and one had a splinter. I use thumb pressure on the top of the barrel when opening the action rather than pulling on the forearm--so that is not an issue.

Some of the older shooters indicated this lug failure was not really unheard of and wasn't necessarily an indicator of poor workmanship.

I shoot both factory and reloads. Mostly 7/8 ounce 12 gauge loads at 1300 f.p.s.

Best wishes-

PULL!
Hal M. Hare