I have fired some pretty potent loads through doubles with splinters. Once even shot several 2 3/4" 12ga factory "Baby Magnum" loads through an old single that weighed no more than 7lbs I'm sure. Wouldn't do it again purely for the reason that old gun shouldn't have had that type of load used in it, AH the ignorance of youth.
I reckon us "Sissies" that squat to pee just don't require all the gimmicks to protect us the "Big HE_Men" type do, We just roll with the punch & go on. Course I knew a little skinny 13yr old, about 90lbs soaking wet, who would beg his Grandfather to borrow an old 12ga single every time he went hunting in preference to the little .410 his Father had stupidly bought him. His approxitamately 250lb uncle who was solid, not fat, made a living carrying one of those big leather Mail Bags around a large Indianna city, fired it one time & handed it back to his father-in-lae & said he wouldn't shoot it again for $100.00. This about 50 years ago when $100.00 was a fair amount of money.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra