I just returned to IL from AK by way of SD and stopped at Cabela's in Mitchell, where there was a nice Trojan 16-ga. shooter in the Gun Library @ $1,399 with 28-inch bbls and #-one frame; still some case colors, not overly worn checking, bright bores (honed?), and more exterior aging than one would expect after looking inside, perhaps a marker of a closet gun that suffered some corrosion and cleaning. The trigger plate had been off but the screw slots are only very-slightly distorted, and the side-action screws seem unturned. Stock head has some oil stain at the action but the wood sounded solid and the finish good enough. Ribs seemed solid if the ringing test means anything. All in all a gun I would buy for my son if he didn't already have the Trojan (12-bore) I bought at the Vintage Cup last year.

Just a heads up if anyone is going through Mitchell SD soon as pheasant season looms...my rancher friends near Winner said the pheasants depradated their newly-seeded crops in the spring, but I didn't see any birds, probably because the corn, beans, and other crops are as yet unharvested. EDM

EDM