considering the shape this one is in, i cannot tell if bluing is just completely gone or ifit may have been nickled at some point
any idea what it was new?

PeteM
i call it advertising for want of a better phrase, at one time, the boss was THE guy for stock work, checkering, making parts for nearly any gun (former machinist) but never slow rust or damascus.
but with the exception of hot blue, he has been staying away from refinish work because
1. his eyes are going fast to do fine work
2. being retired he is content to re-build the de-milled stuff that for the time investment pays better
we finally met after i drove by for years without noticing the sign... long story short a repair on one of my old .22s he told me how to do it, lied that work and asked if i ever considered bluing it, told him i would but couldnt afford it
"you do the prep/polish ill run it through for $20"
he thought i did pretty good on that too, and i have been doing small things as he has them since, getting more involved as i learn... so at this point i do whatever i can get my hands on either free or real cheap (still un-employed since Jul) for the experience and learn something new...
this gun will be there to show that re-finish is again available and an example

Newf
you caught that!
yes i had to cheat and use a torch... searching for either a heat element for the oven i got, or find a belt for my forge so i can use the crucible

ClapperZapper
sorry if i came off being wise-ass about leaving the rough milling, and thanks for poiinting out "Make a note about what PeteM and Daryl H. say."
i "know" only a small handfull of guns, but seem to be listening to too many different people trying to sort out what is right as i go...
pheeew, i usually dont type this much at a time!

Last edited by oldemagics; 04/07/10 11:41 PM.

Gun control starts with a good grip, make it beautiful too