Coy terms? If you were at a classic car show and had a for sale sign on an original '69 Camaro SS 396 and someone asked you what you'd take for it and you replied eighteen, would you be speaking in "coy" terms? No, anybody in their right mind would know you didn't mean eighteen hundred. Sure, it's no trouble to say "eighteen thousand", but this type conversation happens everyday between people who are knowledgeable about the item in question. That's the crux of this, he apparently assumed she WASN"T knowledgeable, and attempted to take advantage of it. Either that or, HE'S the one who is stupid, not her.

Sometimes it happens vice versa. I have in my safe an original Manton 16 ga. precussion double that was bought by a friend at a gun show in N. Georgia a few years ago. He walked by a gentleman who had several guns for sale at a table and asked to look at the double. Seeing it was a Manton, and in apparently unfired condition, he asked "How much?". Owner replied "Three". Friend looks it over carefully and replies, "It's certainly a nice one, and worth a great deal, but I'd really like to buy it for less than that". Owner replies, "No, if I can't get at least three hundred dollars for it I'll just take it back home". As you can imagine, both seller AND buyer went home happy.

Last edited by Stan; 04/20/10 07:01 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.