A new gun store opened here about two months ago, locally owned by enthusiasts,small shop, maybe 100 guns for now, mostly sporting stuff. Now some of you here know that over the last 10 years or so I have been doing barrels and wood, along with repairs on mostly doubles for uhh, friends and I have honed my skills pretty well over the years. So..before this place even opened I stuck my head in the door and asked if they needed any help in the way of simple gun smithing. Mounting scopes, cleaning and minor repairs. they said that they were just opening but I should come back later when the are really open, which I did. Well it's a 3 man shop, all related to another, and as I was dropping in weekly, they were asking me to do stuff and paying me either in trade, or cash for simple stuff. So I asked if I could move some tools in and set hours two days a week there to do things they had either set aside for me, or appointments they would make for me. They call me even when I'm at home whenever they get a double gun they need info or advice on. Lately I have been keeping the two day a week schedule and I take some "homework" in to keep me busy when there is nothing going on from the store. So now I'm one of the gang and they refer to me as the "shotgun guy" to the customers. Now this place has a lower level that is going to waste unused, perfect to set up a real shop and move my boiling tanks, tools etc into and set up shop. My wheels are turning, can you see where this is going?

Ok so two days ago a buddy of mine calls me and tells me he picked up a used once stock duplicator from an estate of a deceased gun smith for $175.00! It's one of the ones on ebay and gunbroker listed for $1,100.00! I was at the shop that day and told the guys the news but that I really had no place to put it. The owner quickly said " Bring it here and put it downstairs".
I'm thinking he was opening a door for me. When we moved it in yesterday the owner was not present as he owns another biz as well, but the other two were there and help Charlie and I get it in. we're old so the help was much appreciated. Once that was done and Charlie was gone we were all down there looking at it and decided to test the water on moving in all the way and doing all my work there, with some kind of arrangement like I do all the shop work in exchange for the space to do my own stuff that comes in from my contacts. It was met well with a " I think that could be done" reply.

So..my question to you all is. How do you think I should work this? He has the FFL and of course everything that comes in the door and stays for longer than what is it 24 hrs?, must be logged. Rather than put that burden on him, should I apply for my own FFL now that I am in an already in an approved facility and keep my own books? This would help me greatly for tax purposes, etc. Should I set myself up as an LLC? What do you all think in general, and what would you call a fair deal regarding "work for rent"? Sorry this is so long but I value every bodies opinions here and I know some of you have similar stories. What think yee brain trust?

Last edited by dubbletrubble; 04/21/10 10:18 AM.