I can buy a flat of Gun Club trap loads for ~ $4 a box ( +-).
Right now a 25lb sack of MAGNUM #8's is nearing $30 at some retailers, but I could have bought from a guy at the trap club, last night for $26.
See where this is going yet?
I'm shooting Clays powder, Spolar Gold Windjammers, in Remington STS hulls, with 1 1/8oz magnum shot.
Getting the picture?
How much better are my reloads at breaking targets than the Gun Club shells? What shot is Remington or Winchester using, and does it make a difference if it's lead, chilled lead, or Magnum shot when it comes to breaking birds at the 23yd line?
In the final analysis, am I wasting my time, and spending unnecessarily to load my own shells, thinking quality components make any difference whatsoever, when it comes to breaking clay targets?
Lastly, at the price of componants, these days, am I actually saving anything by handloading vs buying cheapie target loads? Never mind the enjoyment/satisfaction I get from loading/shooting my own. Also, I guess it's fair to include a labor cost into the equation; but ordering and picking up new shells takes time as well, so that may be a wash.
Thanks for your thoughts.