Get yourself a fine, single cut file and go in ONE direction. If the funds are available a quality draw file from brownells would be a great start to your "barrel refinishing kit" Otherwise Nicholson files are pretty good for the $$ these can be had at Lowe's/Home Depot. Start by gently filing the pits out. I would stay away from the engraving if you can stand it. You will need to remove all "pin" prick pitting as this will show through like a red bra in a wet t-shirt contest. Make sure the bbls are smooth. For your final polishing go in one direction only. Usually 400 is plenty smooth for rust blue but I have never browned bbls. I use muslin wheels dressed with Polish-O-Ray from brownells in various grits untill I reach the desired polish. This polish can be obtained completely by hand, it will just take longer. Remember ONE direction only and take your time. When it comes to applying the finish gloves are a must and the bbls need to be absolutely clean and dry. I soak in acetone and hang from the lump in a dry place for 24 hrs. This will also help get any oil that has seeped under the rib out. If there is any oil come finishing time it will show on your bbls when you are done. For soaking in acetone the cheap plastic wall paper trays (available at paint stores Lowe's/Home Depot) come in very handy. Hope all this babbling has helped some....

Double guns and English Setters