Hi all, I think that the question may have been read into. I was speaking about how the British Sportsman feel about choke tubes, not having a Brit gun tubed here. I was curious to see if it is a common practice or not.

Tubing as we all know is one of those subjects that folks either love or hate. I'm aware that for some it's almost a crime and others have the take like Col Brown states.

As Dig has stated, choke can be over rated, but then again, sometimes on the prairies late in the season when the birds are wild, a open choke gun just won't cut it. Most of my guns are set up with either Skt/IC and Mod for most of the year, later I'll switch to IC/IM.

I do have a couple guns of Spanish and Italian make that are tubed, as the Col stated great versatility, but these are modern guns.

I do have a confession to make, I do have a H&H Royal, that is not in original factory condition (it has a dished stock, oddball looking to say the least!) but is in wonderful shape and is choked .000/.005. I had fleeting thoughts on tubing her, but after a trip to the pattern board to see how she'd shoot, that ended that. At 30yds, nothing could get thru those patterns. So for me this gun will make a nice early season gun for birds over points.

Thanks everyone for the great responses, keep them coming!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret