Originally Posted By: Franchi

With the gun, I also got a large number of 20 ga. magnum shells. I fired the gun twice with these shells an got one pheasant. I love the way that the gun handles!

This is the gun that I was asking for low pressure load recipes for as a lot of people suggested that the gun would not like modern day pressures. I guess that low pressure means about 7000 psi. I plan to use Win AA cases for reloads. Anybody have good low pressure hunting loads for this gun?

Franchi, have you measured the chambers on that gun? If they're still original, there's a very good chance they're 2 1/2". If by "magnum" you mean 3" magnum, I don't think it's a good idea to shoot those in a gun that has--or had--2 1/2" chambers. If the chambers are still short, that's enough extra hull length that you're going to be well into the forcing cone when the mouth of the shell opens. But even if they're only the "short" magnums--2 3/4"--in either case, you're firing a heavier shot charge than that for which your Davis was designed. 1 1/8 oz in the short magnums, 1 1/4 oz in the 3". Maximum pressure standards are no higher on 3" 20's than on 2 3/4", but you'll get a lot more recoil because of the heavier shot charge, and that's not good for old guns. You may do bad things to the stock in particular. I'd stick to nothing more than an ounce, and preferably 7/8 oz.

It's very difficult to reload below 9,000 psi using 20ga AA hulls. With Federal hulls, you can get down around 8,000; hard to get much lower than that with the 20ga period. Check the Hodgdon and Alliant websites for recipes using various combinations of hulls, powder, primers, and wads.