Originally Posted By: BrentD
For the unclean and unwashed, what, exactly, is the fascination with Krags? Is it simply their place in history? Or do they have some intrinsically desirable features that are readily apparent to the cognoscenti that are lost on us heathens forever stuck in and on the 19th century?

First off, a very long freebore that makes a Krag a true joy with cast bullets.

Quote:
What I see is a gangling action with a big footlocker-sized shoe box hanging off one side and what appears to be seriously weaken bridge between the wrist and fore stock.

Had the same chunk of wood on mine since 1988 (and probably since 1958) and not even a crack. I don't have a barrel band front sling swivel, either.

Quote:
I don't mean to disparage, but I'm obviously missing something when it comes to Krags that is even more fundamental than simply an aesthetic appreciation for bolt actions in general.

Rack the bolt on one; Griffin and Howe never made a smoother action than a Krag. And there's the fact you can reload the magazine at Condition One (cocked with one in the pipe), a VERY serious advantage with dangerous game.