Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
Calebg:
I doubt if this gun would look any better in "grey", but if you have designs on dipping it in anything, it MUST be completely stripped down. If you haven't taken a boxlock to bits before, please find good tuition before doing so. The nasty buggers are the hammer springs. But getting it apart is easy for a novice, compared to reassembly.

For someone of your abilities, I'd say get the Tom Rowe DVD from Midway on English guns and be careful as you follow the instruction.

As for "dipping your bits," I'd suggest a mild boric acid solution -- or more conveniently these days, "Evapo-Rust." Either will give you a soft grey look.

Best, Kensal

Thanks. I know some people aren't especially fond of coin/grey boxlocks, but I like the look of the old Precision Sports Uggies.

It sounds like totally stripping the action might be tough. By the way, for future reference the Jack Rowe video is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSlmPGWRdgQ Wish I'd found it earlier.

Do you have any thoughts on using something like oven cleaner on the outside of the action without stripping the action down?