Originally Posted By: Tom Martin
Something that has not been mentioned is the effect of the different types of traps throwing the targets. The old White Flyer machines imparted a good bit of spin to the target, while most if not all of the more modern machines give less spin. This will give a lot of difference in the effects of centrifugal force on the one pellet hits. I knew that the spin differences were manifested in the flight of targets in the wind, but had not considered the difference in marginal hit breaks.

Tom, do you know why the difference in spin speed of the traps? As I see it, the circumferential speed of the clay has to equal the forward velocity of the clay, unless the clay slips relative to the rail. Considering that there are a lot of g's acceleration, the force of the rail against the target must be high. It would, therefore, take a very low coefficient of friction between the target and the rail to allow slippage. Has the rail material changed dramatically over time? I expected it would be some form of rubber and have a relatively high coefficient of friction with the clay.